CO2 leak - Gas hose connect to regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahoeBBA

Reaction score
I found a small leak at the point where the gas line screws into the regulator. I tighten it down as much as I could using pliers and that didn't resolve the issue. Is it ok to use teflon / plumbers tape on the threads in this connection?

It's usually a flare fitting, and you don't use teflon or dope on flare fittings, the sealing surface is not the threads, it's the flare. Further, get a wrench to tighten, pliers are pretty much useless.

I actually used a pair of vice grips....I'll see if I can find a small enough wrench lol.

After googling and knowing that is a flare fitting would a flare washer be suitable to resolve this?

It might be cheaper than buying a new fitting, never used them personally however.

Yes you should use the little nylon washer when connecting a flare fitting when there is metal on metal (but not for example with the ball lock disconnect flares that have the built in washer). I've always seen regulators come with a barb fitting though, you are not talking about it leaking where the shut off valve screws into the regulator body are you?

I'm talking about where the gas line threads to the regulator. Here is a pic just to be certain. In this pic its not threaded all the way just taken for this example.

theads.jpg

What?

The OP was using his own personal vernacular when he said "where the gas line screws into the regulator". Apparently he really meant "where the gas line swivel nut screws onto the shut-off valve", and he must not have stuck that little white plastic gasket in there before assembling same.

We're good. I think. ;)

What you're pointing at is likely a straight pipe thread, I'm not sure there's a taper there or not...

Cheers!

Yeah, I kind of went by the beat-to-hell appearance of the swivel nut and assumed that was the connection the OP was talking about. As you say, I think we're good. :D

At least it was stainless, a lot harder to deform that with vise grips. Wrenches people, dirt cheap at Harbour Freight (Princess Auto here in Canada).

Latest posts

Back