Clean, Sanitize, Bottle...repeat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesink

Reaction score
I am a total noob, so I apologize for the noob question. I searched through the threads, but wanted some input on this process. I've only brewed and bottled four batches, and before I bottle my tasty IPA and Kolsch brews, I want to know how to avoid the problems I've had recently.

I reuse, and have gotten a bunch of bottles from my family, friends, etc. I would rinse with hot water a few times, run a brush through them and then run them through the dishwasher without detergent...all this a few days to a week before I bottled. Then on bottling day I would run some no rinse sanitizer through the bottles, also the caps, and then bottle (also sanitizing the bottling bucket and all the parts. But with some of the bottles, I would get some off flavors...and I had no head with any of the beers. I'm thinking maybe it was the JetDry.

Anyhow, I'm bottling the IPA on Sunday. Tonight I ran hot water through and over each bottle, brushed them, rinsed them with hot water 3 or 4 times again, and then put them on the bottle tree. I'm thinking on Sunday I will fill up my sink with the sanitizer and warm water and let them soak for half an hour or so before bottling.

Am I missing anything?

I think you're going to WAY too much trouble with your bottles. I have bottled 53 batches so far now and I never really washed any bottles unless they came from a questionable source and may have touched lips. I simply rinse (well) each bottle after pouring, then I store the rinsed bottles away. On bottling day I dunk the empties into my kitchen sink filled with starsan solution. I hold them down until they fill with the solution and then immediately empty the bottles and then invert them on the bottom rack of my dishwasher to drain. Then I fill and cap. I don't bother to sanitize the caps anymore either. I have never had a single bad bottle. Starsan works very very quickly.

my sanitizer calls for cool water.......I also do the same steps as the above post with no issues. Rinse, store, soak in sanitizer, drip dry on dishwasher prongs and fill....

Latest posts

Back