Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkey17

Reaction score
Hey Folks

Here is a question for you all , is there anything else you can use to carbonate beer in a bottle other than glucose/sugar ,,

The reason im asking is ,ive kegged my beer and gassed it and the taste is lovely ,,

if i bottle beer with glucose/dextrose the taste isnt the same( i know if i leave the beer longer a few weeks the taste changes but i usually dont wait ) ,, is there a product out there that can be used to do the same thing but doesnt have a sweet taste ,,,

What do commercial companies use to carbonate there beers ?

Hey Folks

What do commercial companies use to carbonate there beers ?

Most krausen: Add unfermented wort back into the fermented beer to restart fermentation. You can use malt extract to simulate this. There's also a product called Creamy X that some people swear by.

You can also bottle from your keg. I have not tried it yet but hoping someone here might give some step by step instructions.
What I have heard is that you ad a small hose to your faucet so you can reach the bottom or your bottle and chill the keg to almost freezing. I wonder if you need to over carbonate slightly to account for the little but you might lose.

I think the concept is... if your beer is below 32 (not sure what temp beer freezes) once you move the beer to a warmer fridge you will build up some pressure as the C02 expands.

You can also use dry malt extract (DME) to prime instead of the corn sugar. I use 1 1/4 cups of DME dissolved in some boiling water, add it to a bucket and transfer the beer in to mix with the DME solution. I then bottle from that bucket and everything is well mixed and equally primed. Plus you can also brag about the caché of having an all malt beer.

Commercial companies usually force carbonate their beer. They will either carbonate in line post filtration and on the way to the bright beer tank or they will carbonate once in the tank after filtration. Some may use kraüsen but it is a bit more time consuming and most breweries are VERY worried about the amount of time beer sits in tanks. The sooner a beer is out of the tank the sooner another one can be put in thereby increasing their production and increasing the bottom line.

Back