Can't get beer to carb.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csmcgn

Reaction score
I have a 5g keg with Creme Brulee Stout that I can't seem to get carbed right. It has a very small amount of car. So I raised the c02 to see if that would fix it, then waited a week. No dice.

Please help! Any advice would be welcomed.

Are you carbing it with 100% CO2? 15 psi will get it done in about 10 days. If you want it sooner set it at 30 psi and start checking it after 12 hours, or force carb it.

Stouts seem to be harder to carb. Try connecting an "out" disconnect to your CO2 line. Set the gauge at 30 psi. Connect to the OUT post. This will send the CO2 bubbling up from the bottom. Now shake the keg by rocking it back and forth. I sit in a chair and hold the bottom with my shoes and rock it back and forth. You will hear the CO2 coming in. Do this for 1 minute. Lower the pressure on the gauge to 15 and keep shaking until you don't hear any more bubbling. This usually takes 5-7 more minutes of shaking. Once it's silent, pour yourself a beer!

Tootal< sounds like you have a solid procedure for carbing stouts! So far I've had not problem getting my stouts to carb, but I'll have to try that on my next one. Csmcgn, try tootal's method for sure !:)

I actually carb all my beers this way. Just find a "Volumes of CO2" chart and a list of styles and volumes needed. I usually carb the beer and then let it sit at 30 degrees for a couple of days to clarify but you can drink it right after it's carbed if you want.

Back