can you taste the difference between 2.4 and 2.7 volumes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hi,
Got my 6 taps finally all setup.

A few of my beers, especially my very light pool beer, seem to have a bit of acid fizz, bite that I have read about.

I have read that 2.4 volumes seems to be the going carb rate for american ales and lagers.
Based on the carbonation charts...with my refrigerator temp at 36.5 and my regulator with new oversized gauge 0-30 psi - set at 12 (that sometimes floats up to 12.5) I am closer to 2.7....oops

So.... can you taste 2.4 vs 2.7 in a light hybrid beer?
Is 2.7 too much for this style?

thanks Kevin

I can tell a difference. I don't think 2.7 is bad, but some might. CO2 = carbonic acid. Did you taste it yet?

I am one that doesn't mind a carbonated beer. I like the fizz...especially a lighter beer on a hot day. I'm not sure if my palate could taste that small of a co2 volume difference honestly. Maybe I could, but it wouldn't be something that bothered me personally.

Do you mean "feel" the difference? Yes.

Taste the difference? No. Not a signifigant difference in the amount of carbonic acid produced between 2.4 and 2.7 vols.

So what is the preferred volume to carb at for medium and light ales and lagers (some day...) ?

What do you all have your psi and temp set to?

thanks Kevin

So what is the preferred volume to carb at for medium and light ales and lagers (some day...) ?

What do you all have your psi and temp set to?

thanks Kevin

38*F and 2.6 for everything. I love the Belgian style of beer but hate the high carbonation.

Do you mean "feel" the difference? Yes.

Taste the difference? No. Not a signifigant difference in the amount of carbonic acid produced between 2.4 and 2.7 vols.

If you want to get all technical, there IS a taste difference between 2 identical beers at different volumes. It's mostly in the way that the taste is perceived. More carbonation = more movement in the mouth and an increased perception of flavors.

MC

Some of the "bite" from carbonation could just be young carbonation- it sure seems to mellow a bit with a bit of time (a week or two), even if the carbonation doesn't change. I've noticed that myself with my system- after a few days it seems like the spritzy bite is gone, but the carb level is the same.

38*F and 2.6 for everything. I love the Belgian style of beer but hate the high carbonation.

So based on this chart - http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Your regulator is set at about 12.5 psi?

My beer that started my thoughts on this is a very very light cream ale, with a little pilnser, rice, corn and table sugar... fermented with s05 - I was going for a pool beer that wife would like... going for water with a little grain flavor :)

It has been carbed now for about 5 weeks and it has a bite.
It might not be all related to the carb level, as i left a glass of this out over night and tasted it warm and it still had some bite left in it.
Is 10 hours enough to rid/reduce the carb level in a beer?

thanks for all the help,
Kevin

Latest posts

Back