Can I setup chest freezer for corny keg and fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Hello there,

I was recently gifted a setup for korny keg. However I don't have anywhere to keep it to stay cold. So I need to make a setup that is as little footprint as possible.

Is it possible to use one freezer for simultaneously fermenting and corny keg? I assume no, but wanted to see.

Maybe there's a setup that isn't a chest freezer but a diy project to accomplish both?

Thanks in advance,
Lorne

I did exactly that because I dont have a lot of real-estate either. You have to be handy building stuff and with wiring, but it's a beast of a setup. check out my build thread here

WOW! That thing is a tank! Well done, I love the finished product, saw it in your link to Google+.

Well I don't think I have that much space nor time to get mine setup, but when I do, I'm all over one similar to that! Well done.

So I take it if I don't build a Frankenkeezer I can't have both worlds in one?

I have fermented lagers in my keezer just fine. I also tend to like my beer at that "weird warm British style" so the 2 worked out perfectly. Just pulled it out of the keezer and let it warm up to room temp for the D-rest, gave it some good long extended aging before tapping and all was well. Does cut down on your options though. I fermented in a corny so it only took 1 tap offline.

Now I have this monstrosity found below. Haven't gotten to use it that much, but others have made one side ferm chamber and one side serving. Fridgenstein.

chamber01-65196.jpg

20150324_221007-65363.jpg

I never would have come up with the idea for my build without the inspiration of the other thread. This is a great community and amazing resource. Happy brewing.

Back