Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling with Star San

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4472 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasted View Post
If I'm using Star San to sanitize my bottles, is it ok to have some foam still in them when I go to siphon the beer into them?
Yes, it's fine! It seems weird at first, but it really is ok to fill them still wet with foam.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 AM   #12
RBChallenger
Recipes 

I use StarSan and probably go overboard but here is basically what I do. I fill a vessel with StarSan and a gallon of water. I then fill the bottles and empty them, spray some StarSan on the bottling tree drain the bottles hang em and let em sit. I throw all the caps in there as well. I then use my siphon and bottling cane (which both have been soaking in the sanitizing solution as well) to siphon my sanitizing solution into the bottling bucket. Slosh it around in there and all, drain it via the spigot, invert (the bottles have been inverted this whole time) while I prepare my priming sugar and then rack and bottle. The bottles will still have some faint bubbles in em... I just don't worry about em. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Rich

Primary 1: Watermelon Wheat Ale
Primary 2: Irish Red
Secondary 1: Alaskan Amber
Secondary 2: Air
Secondary 3: Air

Bottled: Foggy Haze Hefeweizen (ver 1.0)
Planned: Chocolate Mint Oatmeal Stout, EdWort's Apfelwein

Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well worth the money
Once its primed a pump or two is all it takes.
Fits right on top of the bottling tree

Search Results

Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #14
HP_Lovecraft
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For the longest time, i would fill my bottling bucket 1/2 way with starsan. Dunk all the bottles (straw method), then empty (spin method), and placed on a sanitized dishwasher rack I bought at homedepot. Entire process only takes 10 minutes or so.

Very simple, though it is a bit of a waste to make that much starsan. Last time I did that using distilled water, and then re-jugged it for the next bottling session.

I do risk the chance of scratching my bottling bucket, though the bottles do not touch the sides.

Edit: I was petrified of the foam at first. It still seems so strange. But the owner of starsan had me convinced after I listened to his BN podcast. He says it only kills if at a SPECIFIC solution strength. When diluted (ie beer on foam), it actually acts as a yeast nutrient.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
RBChallenger
Recipes 

For what it is worth, I just bottled a wit and used the spray bottle method. Basically I started out by spraying 4 squirts into a bottle and sloshing it all around. Then before putting on the bottling tree I poured the remaining StarSan from that bottle into the next bottle, continued with the process for all the bottles adding a spritz here or there as needed. Beer turned out great )no infection) and I used very little StarSan compared to what I used to. I also got no bubbles this way.

Regards,
Rich

Primary 1: Watermelon Wheat Ale
Primary 2: Irish Red
Secondary 1: Alaskan Amber
Secondary 2: Air
Secondary 3: Air

Bottled: Foggy Haze Hefeweizen (ver 1.0)
Planned: Chocolate Mint Oatmeal Stout, EdWort's Apfelwein

Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So Yoop, guess the leg's all better eh? Was this thread back when you were getting started? (guessing your avatar was an X-ray of the broken leg?)

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I never mix up more than a gallon of Star San at one time (per directions, at an ounce per 5 gallons H2O). I pour it into my carboys, swish it around to cover the inside, pour out. I use a dedicated sponge to go over the inside of fermenter & bottling buckets & lids. I use the sulfiting pump shown above to do the inside of the bottles, then run the bottles through the dishwasher. I dump my caps into a container with about an inch of the Star San solution in it, and cap directly out of there. In no case do I fear the foam.

Star San is very water-conserving, economical, long-lasting when mixed in solution, and, as has been mentioned, 30 seconds contact for effect. Add that to no-rinse, and I put my Clorox bottle aside and never looked back.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Quick Reply