Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling in growlers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Arrogantbastard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling in growlers

I am getting ready to switch from bottling to kegging. I would like to continue to brew in 6 gallon batches as I usually do to ensure that I don't come up short when it comes time to fill the keg, but I would still like to be able to use the extra that is left over. I was wandering if it would be possible to bottle with priming sugar in a growler so that I would only have one or two containers to deal with instead of multiple small bottles.

My concerns are: 1) can a conventional growler or similar glass jug handle the pressure or carbonation? and 2) will the screw-on cap create sanitation problems?

I have seen the swing-top ultra thick growlers that, i'm sure, would work much better for this purpose, but I am trying to find a more economical means of using large containers to bottle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
cellardoor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Growlers aren't meant to be able to hold full carbonation pressures and if you search around here you'll find stories of exploding growlers from people doing the same thing. Sure some people have done it with no problem but it isn't worth taking a chance.

It isn't that big of a hassle to bottle up 10 bottles and stash them somewhere for later. If you are determined to use bigger bottles for find some cheap Mexican beers in 32 oz. bottles and recap. only 4 bottles are needed then. Cheaper than growlers too. Heres a thread on the subject http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/1-qu...90/#post199448

Cellar Door Brewery

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

agentEhrman Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply