Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling was easier...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
just2brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling was easier...

Summer is coming and I decided to compliment the smoker and grill with beer on tap. After seeing Beirmunchiers converted garbage can I thought something similar would be the ticket. I was not interested in modifying the chest freezer (I bought it to ferment in).

Purchased a stainless 2 tap kit from Keg Connection and modified a recycling can from home depot. Here's the pic:

All was going good until:
- Primed keg leaked
- Poppet went bad and shot starsan all over my basement
- Cleaning is a pain, If you want to rinse, giving it a shake under pressure just makes the liquid absorb gas and then the keg leaks....
- Check ball I didn't know was there on the manifold sticks shut and causes no gas flow.
- No one fills CO2 tanks and it is not worth the gas to make the trip to find someone that will, if your LHBS will exchange it while you're there (It's where my shiny new aluminum tank was seen last)

Last but not least, you can invite over buddies to help bottle...
How does one justify needing help kegging? (Mental image of 4 guys watching beer being siphoned...)

I'm sure I'll get it all figured out eventually. Just having a rough time getting started and decided to complain....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
Boleslaus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well sounds like the process of kegging isn't the issue for you. The process of kegging is MUCH more simple. However, your keg is leaking. Have you tried cranking the pressure up to 20+ psi until it seals properly and then backing it down?

Watch me leap through this hoop!

My current line-up:

Fermenter 1: Altbier

Old 04-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #3
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You need some lube, keg lube that is. I love kegging, I just got a bowie bottle adapter so I can bottle from tap. So I just bottle a sixer or so for friends, rest is for me!

My hop stopper

Old 04-22-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
sh00t
Recipes 

yeah, I second the keg lube and if your poppet is bad you can replace it. Bottling sucks.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh00t
yeah, I second the keg lube and if your poppet is bad you can replace it. Bottling sucks.
Yep, replace all o-rings if they're old, and bring a poppit into lhbs (or find correct one online) and replace them. Keg lube is the ticket, too!

Old 04-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
leviticus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I'll take kegging over bottling any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I did a lot of work/maintenance on my kegs when I got them (new o-rings, poppets, one got a whole new lid). I would do it all again for the simplicity that it is now. Of course, I've learned a few lessons the hard way (actually managed to hook up the lines backwards on a keg once), but now that I have a process down I can't even imagine bottling a full batch of beer now.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #7
sh00t
Recipes 

Quote:
I can't even imagine bottling a full batch of beer now
it would be torture.... i might be able to do it if they were 32oz bottles...maybe

Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yep yep. Keg lube. Sometimes taking the keg posts off and soaking them in some oxiclean is all it takes to fix a sticky poppet. After soaking sanitize and put a thin band of keg lube on all gaskets. That's keg posts, poppets, pressure relief, and main o-ring. That will straighten out 90% of your leak problems.

As to the trash can, that is an awesome idea for a portable kegerator, but a bit of a pain for long term as you will have to continuously replenish ice to keep the kegs cool won't you?

Keep on working the kegs. They so rock over bottling. Cheers.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 04-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
AussieBrewerInColorado
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I never looked back after bottling a few batches after I got kegging. SOOOO much easier. When I buy I keg I get all new o-rings first off, then whenever I use/reuse I clean it out with a hose, put some PBW, shake, take all connects off, soak in some PBW solution, sanitize everything. The only problem i've had is in my liquid picnic tap lines leaking. Sorry you had so much trouble, but give it another whirl, when it works, life is much easier than bottling! I use 4-6 diff kegs and once I did the initial o-ring replacement, haven't had any issues with my process.

Oh, on the c02, couple of avenues there are hydroponic shops and fire extinguisher refill places.

Good luck.

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb

The Keg Ran Out Club (KROC)
Broomfield, Colorado
http://www.kroc.org/

Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't invite people to help keg, I invite them to come enjoy the beer after it is kegged and carbed. One of use has some strange friends...

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Quick Reply