Beer won't condition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
I have beer that's been bottled for months now. I'll open one bottle at a time to test it, but it doesn't seem to want to condition. Its been at a temp of about 70°. Any suggestions?

What do you mean exactly? It wont carbonate or it just still tastes bad or what?

I have beer that's been bottled for months now. I'll open one bottle at a time to test it, but it doesn't seem to want to condition. Its been at a temp of about 70°. Any suggestions?

What was the recipe... I mean it would help if we knew what you made and what you are shooting for...

I mean if it is very bitter from hops and you expecting it to mellow, it needs more time.

If it has some funky flavor we would need a description.

DPB

Tell us a little about the recipe you brewed.

Also, what type of priming sugar did you use? How much? What kind of bottles are you using? It is possible your bottle capper is not crimping a tight enough seal. Several things could have gone wrong. Answers to the above will most likely point us in the right direction.

Hey guys, wasn't sure how detailed I needed to be...

What do you mean exactly? It wont carbonate or it just still tastes bad or what?

The beer will not carbonate.

What was the recipe... I mean it would help if we knew what you made and what you are shooting for...

I mean if it is very bitter from hops and you expecting it to mellow, it needs more time.

If it has some funky flavor we would need a description.

DPB

I don't think the flavor is off. it seems like the flavor is developing. Kind of weird...

Tell us a little about the recipe you brewed.

Also, what type of priming sugar did you use? How much? What kind of bottles are you using? It is possible your bottle capper is not crimping a tight enough seal. Several things could have gone wrong. Answers to the above will most likely point us in the right direction.

This is an apple beer where I used corn sugar to prime it. I used granny smith in the fermenter. I used 5 oz of brewers best priming sugar. I guess its possible that the capper could be the problem, but I havent had any issues with any other beer, except a pumpkin pie beer that is having this same issue. I attached the recipe.

Thanks.

View attachment Apple_beer.pdf

QUOTE]

Does it taste Sweet?

Sounds like you might have missed on the corn sugar.

Spices should not affect/effect the carbonation.

If you are getting a good seal, the beer should be carbonated.

I guess you could pop them open, drop in some carbonation tabs, and re-cap.

ELSE you can use it as MIXING BEER or drink it un-carbonated...

DPB

QUOTE]

Does it taste Sweet?

Sounds like you might have missed on the corn sugar.

Spices should not affect/effect the carbonation.

If you are getting a good seal, the beer should be carbonated.

I guess you could pop them open, drop in some carbonation tabs, and re-cap.

ELSE you can use it as MIXING BEER or drink it un-carbonated...

DPB

As I open the apple beer, it does taste a little sweet. After I open it I use it as marinade for brussel sprouts.

You think I should add more next time or something different? I forgot to mention that this is a recipe I converted from AG to extract. I'll see what I can do about the carbonation tabs.

Thanks

I thought I would give an update.It looks like this is just taking a lot time to condition. It is slowly carbonating, but it is carbonating.

Good to hear! I have one that is slow going as well, so am going to give it 2 weeks. I am a very impatient person, so just figure I better brew more.

I thought I would give an update.It looks like this is just taking a lot time to condition. It is slowly carbonating, but it is carbonating.

I have a Wee Heavy that's been in the bottles for 4 1/2 months at 68 degrees. I drank one last night and there's more carbonation but still not enough. It is SLOWLY getting carbed up. This is crazy how long it's taking. Not sure why. I figure in a month or 3 it'll be good lol.

Was it a very strong beer? If so then they can take more time to carbonate. Also, sometimes if you leave the beer sitting or aging longer than normal it's good to repitch some yeast before bottling.

Was it a very strong beer? If so then they can take more time to carbonate. Also, sometimes if you leave the beer sitting or aging longer than normal it's good to repitch some yeast before bottling.

Yeah, I would say so. OG of 1.107 and FG of 1.050 the est. FG was supposed to be 1.027. I am going to try and make it again real soon so it will be ready for the fall. I'll probably change the yeast as well as use a starter.

I see, sounds like your yeast didn't attenuate fully. I get about 50% attenuation from that. If you are making a big beer like this you have to pitch enough healthy yeast and give the wort a good amount of oxygen. On a beer that big the yeast will be stressed out by bottling time so it's a good idea to re-pitch. A beer that big might take a few month to bottle condition at that strength.

I know oxygen wasn't a problem. I have a good process for that. When I brewed the beer it was before I understood yeast starters. I'm in the process of building a stir plate, so I'll definitely have healthy yeast in the future.

Back