The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Anyone use both Pin-lock and Ball-lock?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
elproducto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Anyone use both Pin-lock and Ball-lock?

I have 4 Ball-locks, and have a line on some cheap pin-locks. I need more kegs, and am wondering if I should just stick with the BL's. Any downsides, other than different disconnects?

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
BlackTieBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have both pin and ball locks. I use the flared disconnects so I can just swap those out depending on which keg I need hooked up. The only downside to pinlock is the fact that they don't have the pull ring pressure relief but that's not a huge deal to me, I just stick a screwdriver in the gas post or put on a disconnect without the tubing attached. If you don't want to have the different disconnects you can always get a conversion kit for the posts.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
I have 4 Ball-locks, and have a line on some cheap pin-locks. I need more kegs, and am wondering if I should just stick with the BL's. Any downsides, other than different disconnects?
I used to have a mix of pin and ball locks when I first started kegging. Everything worked fine... I just had to be mindful of which kind of keg I was putting the new batches into so that I didn't end up with a ball lock spot free in the kegerator, but new beer in a pin lock (or vice versa).

I ended up selling the pinlock kegs because I downsized to a small minifridge kegerator that is only wide enough to hold two of the taller/skinnier ball locks. If I put a pin lock keg in that thing, then I could not put a second keg of any kind into it.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I sold off my pin locks even though it was not a big deal to swap out the QD's. I just didn't want to think about it anymore. Ideally it would be nice to have all kegs of the same mfg with the same parts.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTieBrewing View Post
The only downside to pinlock is the fact that they don't have the pull ring pressure relief but that's not a huge deal to me, I just stick a screwdriver in the gas post or put on a disconnect without the tubing attached.
Yeah... I forgot about that part.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ahh.. space is an issue for me. I didn't realize pin locks were shorter and fatter.

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Old 03-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
nwsportsman
Recipes 

I also use both types of kegs. I buy what is avalible when I need them. Some of my pin locks are short others are tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTieBrewing
The only downside to pinlock is the fact that they don't have the pull ring pressure relief but that's not a huge deal to me, I just stick a screwdriver in the gas post or put on a disconnect without the tubing attached.
Not always true, half of my Pin kegs have a pull ring.
Buy what's avalible, parts are avalible for all types of kegs. But my home brew shop stocks more parts for the ball locks....

Old 03-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #8
KC10Chief
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have three pin locks and one ball lock and 4 taps on my kegerator. I am slowly changing over to ball lock kegs. My pin locks also don't have the pressure relief thing in the lid and personally, I don't like that. I don't like jamming a screwdriver down onto the QD to burp my keg. CO2 is heavier than air. I always wonder how much air I'm actually getting out when I relieve it with the QD. Anal, I know, but that's just me. Also, sometimes, they stick open when you keep poking at them with keys or screwdrivers. The ball lock kegs are a little taller and a little thinner. Maybe an inch taller and a half inch thinner. Not a whole lot. I want to go to all ball locks. The local brew store sells used ones for $70 each. Pretty steep if you ask me. You can get them for half that in the lower 48.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsportsman View Post
I also use both types of kegs. I buy what is avalible when I need them. Some of my pin locks are short others are tall.

Not always true, half of my Pin kegs have a pull ring.
Buy what's avalible, parts are avalible for all types of kegs. But my home brew shop stocks more parts for the ball locks....
Same here.. I'm 3/4 ball lock and 1/4 pin lock. All of mine have pull relief valves in the lids.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
Weizenwerks
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use pin locks for beer with Brett yeast and ball lock for beer with non-Brett yeast. Helps keep them separate.

Quick Reply