Another Paintball CO2 tank adapter question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronco

Reaction score
OK...

So i am looking into a kegging system, i wont keg very often in fact maybe once or twice a year. Since i dont keg enough beer to spend the money on a 5lbs CO2 tank and i like the idea of not having to hydro my tank every few years. A Paintball CO2 tank is my best option. It fits in my mini fridge and is cheap.I can get a 32oz CO2 tank for about $25 bucks. That can force carbonate and push about two to three full kegs. At $8-$9 to fill they are not expensive to fill and are light weight.

The problem that i see is people running into to the adapter fitting part. Since paintball tanks have the push button to let the CO2 flow out (see photo) It has a high pressure quick connect at the end for ease of use.
images

I found another solution to this problem and think that i may have made the idea of using a paintball tank as use as a CO2 tank a viable solution. When i played paintball back in the day, i had a CO2 tank remote pack. I wore my tank on my back and used a 3000 psi cord to attach to the gun. It looked like this.They are only $30 new.
CO2-HPA-Paintball-Thick-Coiled-Remote-QD-ONOFF_41qIznk7-wL._300_300.jpg

This cord can then be attached to a regulator and from there to the keg. Giving the CO2 tank full motion and ability to be stored anywhere in the fridge or portable kegging system without the regulator getting in the way. It will also make it easier to check the pressure and regulate CO2 use. Has anyone done this before? Does the idea have any merit of use?

UPDATE ON PRICE:

20oz paint ball tank (or 1.25 lbs tank) is $7 on Bay with shipping
Paintball CO2 tank remote - $15
TAPRITE CO2 Regulator DualGauge - $27 with shipping
Corny Ball lock keg - $35

If this works out correctly i can have a kegging setup for $84...

I've been considering something like this for a more portable kegging solution. Could that remote be used to directly fill the paintball tank from say a 10 pound tank, or would I need some special high pressure line for transferring tank to tank?

I've been considering something like this for a more portable kegging solution. Could that remote be used to directly fill the paintball tank from say a 10 pound tank, or would I need some special high pressure line for transferring tank to tank?
Short answer is yes. The line is rated for 3000 lbs pressure. You need to fill the tank by weight so you also need an accurate scale. Plus you need to use a fill station - something like this:

DSC00478.JPG

Great! I was hoping someone else had done this before!

Joeybeer - I was trying to make the most portable system i could so the adapter is great, but a little bit too bulky with the gauges on top.

what experience do you have with force carbing off a 20 or 32oz?

At $68 for the regulator (with shipping) that you just posted, this system makes the tank more portable with a mountable regulator/gauge for half the price.

UPDATE ON PRICE:

20oz paint ball tank (or 1.25 lbs tank) is $7 on Bay with shipping
Corny Ball lock keg - $35

If this works out correctly i can have a kegging setup for $84...

where did you purchase the...

Paintball remote on E-bay, $10 and $5 shipping. It was new and the seller has a TON of them.

I have a connection on the regulator... Typically there like $40something I was able to get it at cost.

With the remote, do you need anything else to attach to the regulator?
The regulator input is 1/4" NPT and the remote fitting is 1/8" NPT. So, you just need to get a 1/4" x 1/8" reducer fitting to attach the 2 pieces. Lowes, ACE Hardware & HD carries the fitting.

Just a heads up for you. Make sure that the regulator that you choose has right hand threaded high pressure ports. That will make your life sooo much easier.

I have this adapter: http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Adapter-CO2-regulator-to-Paintball-Tank-Adapter_p_1122.html

It works fairly well, except mine was machined a little large and the normal Teflon o ring would not seal. I had to change to a larger o ring, Also - the paint ball tanks have to be hydro'ed every 5 years. Unfortunately, it seems to be less expensive to just buy a new tank.
You can do a setup to refill your own PB tanks if you have a larger CO² tank. It is what I do. The bits and pieces that you use for the PB tank can double in recharging it from a larger tank. (Plus a few more pieces. But it'll pay off in short order.)

I get my paintball tanks on E-bay or craigslist for about $10 each. At $3.50 to fill from my local "sports chalet" Its a bit cheaper for me as well. I use (2) 2.5 gallon kegs for my kegerator so the 20 or 24 oz PB tank work great.

I have this adapter: http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Adapter-CO2-regulator-to-Paintball-Tank-Adapter_p_1122.html

It works fairly well, except mine was machined a little large and the normal Teflon o ring would not seal. I had to change to a larger o ring, Also - the paint ball tanks have to be hydro'ed every 5 years. Unfortunately, it seems to be less expensive to just buy a new tank.

I was looking in to that as a back-up. I have a 5 lbs CO2 tank but don't want to run out at the wrong time. Since i play paintball i always have tanks laying around. Just to double check though. will this allow you to screw into the regulator in place of the 5 pounder?

P-J: I know this thread is old, but I am trying to figure out how to do the same thing you have done with an old remote hose (my paintball days are waning). Two quick questions:
1) I find the male outside of the remote hose doesn`t thread very far into my regulator, although it seems to seal ok - does this sound normal?
2) I don't know what you call it, but the slide check valve is leaking - is there any reason you can think of why I can't just remove that piece?

P-J: I know this thread is old, but I am trying to figure out how to do the same thing you have done with an old remote hose (my paintball days are waning). Two quick questions:
1) I find the male outside of the remote hose doesn`t thread very far into my regulator, although it seems to seal ok - does this sound normal?
2) I don't know what you call it, but the slide check valve is leaking - is there any reason you can think of why I can't just remove that piece?
1) Sounds like your fitting is straight threaded instead of tapered like a pipe fitting. As long af you have a good seal it should be Ok.
2) Slide check valve? Are you referring to the pressure relief valve? If so you can either replace it or remove it. I'd replace it but that's just me.

P-J

Thanks, I figured out how to replace the seals in the pressure relief. I am
glad I found your post, it saved me some cash and works like a charm!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back