Adding bittering hops before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizardBrew83

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post. I always think I have something new to post, but when I search, I always find the answer and it has been a huge help! This is the only question I have had that I couldn't find an anwer for so here it is... the first question...
I brewed an IPA a few weeks ago and even though I put a ton of hops in it, it's just not bitter enough for me out of the fermentor.
Has anyone ever added hops to their bottling sugar while the were boiling it to make a concentrated bitter bottling solution? Would it isomerize any differently if I used corn sugar or should I just use malt extract to be safe? Would it essentially be the same IBU calculation considering boiling gravity of the sugar solution and the fact that I am adding it to 5 gallons of beer. I haven't sat down to do any calculation, but I am looking to make a solution of 80- 100 IBUs to add to the beer to add about 15-20 IBUs to the entire beer. I am going to aim to have the solution be about 2-3 cups at the end of the boil. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks!

your best answer is to dry-hop it in the secondary, let it soak for a week, then keg/bottle. after the boil, it doesn't add ibu's, but it does add hop taste and aroma. i love hops too, and this is how i learned to do it from the masters

Do a search for "hop tea" and you'll find some good advice on this. Generally, it seems that the tea will add flavor/aroma, rather than bitterness. Dry hopping, as lumpher said, is probably the way to go. You could also try making an over the top hop monster and blending, but that's a lot of work.

Thanks for your quick response... I did add dry whole hops-3 oz. worth-to the secondary which have been in there for about a week and it does have a wonderful hoppy aroma and flavor to it, but it just doesn't finish with the big bitterness like I want it to. The thing is that I usually boil my priming sugar in about 2-3 cups of water before bottling so this gives me a chance to essentially "boil a portion" of the beer again and hopefully add IBUs through isomerization not just aroma to the beer. I was going boil aprox. a quart of water and use the recomended 3/4 cup corn sugar or 1 1/4 cup of malt extract and boil it with the apropriate amount of hops for about an hour to give me (hopefully) about 2-3 cups of 80-100 IBU sugar solution at the end of the boil. Or are you just saying that it is not going to work and I am just going to have to live with what I am now going to call my Pansy IPA... :eek:

Hopshot is the wrong product, it has to be added in the boil. You need an Iso-Extract, like Hopsteiner Tetra Iso-Extract.

You can raise the IBUs with a hop tea, but you will need several quarts of it. Boil 1/2 oz of a high-AA hop (or 1 ml of Hopshot) for 90 minutes, cool and strain. 2 quarts @ 100 IBUs will give you ~10 IBUs.

Yea... that hop shot seems the way to go... It would be good in the small volume and I don't have to worry about getting hop fragments into the finished beer. I think I am going to give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestions. I will post back in a few weeks if my IPA grew some balls or not.

David 42
I plan on making the hop tea as you suggested, should I have 2 quarts at the end of boil or before? Will the hops/ hopshot isomerize correctly in both corn sugar or a malt extract solution? Or does it matter... will hops essentially isomerize in plain water?

Back