Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 10 gallon batch, 5 gallon cornies
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
coosabrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: escondido, california
Posts: 54
Likes Given: 3

Default 10 gallon batch, 5 gallon cornies

Just upgraded to 10 gallon batches and have my finished beer in 2 cornies. I have the gas line on one keg in the in port and the out port of that same keg is connected to the in of the other keg. Will the gas carbonate both kegs? Or should I treat them on there own? My thinking is that the keg that is gassed will absorb till saturated then the excess gas will transfer to the other keg. Other thoughts?

__________________
coosabrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
dbrewski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Indeterminate
Posts: 1,023
Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Oh boy. Won't that just force beer into the last keg until the pressure equalized? Could get messy. You're better off with a gas line tee.

__________________
dbrewski is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
DanH's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,025
Liked 82 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Definately T the gas line. This is how people transfer beer between two kegs, cuz the gas will push the beer up the dip tube and over to the other keg. However, you don't want beer going in through the gas side. It will just splash into the keg.

__________________
DanH is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
coosabrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: escondido, california
Posts: 54
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Definately T the gas line. This is how people transfer beer between two kegs, cuz the gas will push the beer up the dip tube and over to the other keg. However, you don't want beer going in through the gas side. It will just splash into the keg.
But if the second keg is full, then minimal splash. That's my thought. This is in my fridge, so the tee thing would work and then when one is done, transfer the liquid line. This I understand, this is my first go on 10 gallons. Just thinking of another way to skin a cat and am looking for input.
__________________
coosabrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
amandabab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: spokane, wa
Posts: 1,971
Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosabrew View Post
Just upgraded to 10 gallon batches and have my finished beer in 2 cornies. I have the gas line on one keg in the in port and the out port of that same keg is connected to the in of the other keg. Will the gas carbonate both kegs? Or should I treat them on there own? My thinking is that the keg that is gassed will absorb till saturated then the excess gas will transfer to the other keg. Other thoughts?
you can serve in series like this with no problem, but you can't carb in series.
__________________
amandabab is offline
coosabrew Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
coosabrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: escondido, california
Posts: 54
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
you can serve in series like this with no problem, but you can't carb in series.
That was the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
__________________
coosabrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8 Gallon Batch - 10 Gallon Kettle - (2) 5 Gallon Carboys BassBeer Extract Brewing 6 10-07-2012 09:23 PM
priming sugar amount for a 2.5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon keg killian Bottling/Kegging 5 10-14-2011 05:20 PM
5 gallon batch split between two 5 gallon cornies? CanadianQuaffer Bottling/Kegging 3 09-12-2011 03:41 AM
Can I use a 5 gallon glass carboy as a primary for a 2.5 gallon batch bgough All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 03-24-2009 06:41 PM
5 gallon batch + 5 gallon primary fermenter = good noisy123 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 07-30-2008 12:45 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS