Yeast Nutrient killed the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cttbax

Reaction score
I am using Nottingham Yeast for my cider. I mixed in my juice and sugar, gave the yeast 20 minutes or so to re hydrate and wake up. I had the normal tan looking slurry with plenty of yeast arroma. Then I got a bone head idea to to put the 5TSP of yeast nutrient in the mix. I pitched about 32 hours ago, and no signs of fermentation. I two more packages of the same yeast, should I just repitch to make sure? THe last batch of cider I made (using the same recipe) had air lock activity after 18 hours or so.

So should I repitch or wait another day?

Jack Keller's web site states...

Yeast Nutrient
Various formulations usually containing diammonium phosphate (DAP), trace minerals, vitamins, and, in better formulations, yeast hulls. All non-grape musts benefit from 1 teaspoon per gallon dissolved before the yeast is pitched. Malt extract and lemon juice make a decent nutrient if nothing else is available, but commercial formulations are easily obtained, inexpensive and much better.

Though I'm not sure the effect.

Back