Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Yeast for higher Alcohol%

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #21
buffalo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
Please post your results if you find something. Everything I've read says that if you take it down to around 1.000 or less...it basically strips the apple flavor and you end up with a white wine-ish taste. I always use Notty and it only drops to around 1.008 (or so). I've never made apfelwein, so I dunno what that tastes like.

Most apple juices seem to start around 1.050 with no sugar added and even if it goes bone dry it will only be around 7% ABV. When you add additional fermentables to boost ABV wouldn't you start to introduce additional flavors other than apple? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I will post as i try the ones mentioned,i'm going to do 1 gallon batches first to get a taste. If they end up to much like a white wine i will be back sweetening them since i don't really care for wine much. Either way i will post my findings,i'm going to start a few of them next week after the xmas rush is over and i get my current batch switched over to secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply