What to age cider in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d510addict

Reaction score
I am planing on doing a few 1-3 gallon batches of various experiment ciders and was wondering what could I age them in after primary. I don't really want to bottle them as its a PITA and a huge waste of effort for such small batches. Would storing them in a small Carlos Rossis type wine jug work? Can I age them long term in a Coors homedraft or TAP bottle with out flavor issues arising?

I've never found bottling to be that arduous of a task.

I've secondaried cider in 1g glass jugs for a month or two with no problems.

i have a bunch of ciders that i am aging in carlos rossi bottles and some growlers i had. I dont think it is a problem as long as they are sealed nice and tight

I was thinking the same thing. Ive only made a few batches of cider and have always aged it in one gallon jugs. Do you think it mite age better in smaller bottles cause there would be less volume? Does anyone with more experience have an option on this?

Glass carboys are usually the way to go. When using plastics like PET etc., if the contents are too acidic and stored for a long time, they have a tendency to leach some of the chemicals out of the plastic into the cider itself, giving not only a plastic taste, but it's also not very good for you health-wise.

Lets say over a course of a year would the cider age differently in 1 gallon jugs vs. 12 oz. bottles?

Back