Step feeding problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daevidallen

Reaction score
So I am making a batch of edwort's apfelwein that I am attempting to step feed but when I add sugar the carboy foams up uncontrollably. It took me around 10 mins to add 8oz of cane sugar and I had to keep pulling out foam so it wouldn't overflow. I figure this has something to do with the sugar creating nucleation points similar to a diet coke and mentos reaction but I can't figure out how to stop it. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've heard of it happening. You could make a simple syrup of the sugar and about a cup of water, be sure to stir until sugar dissolves, bring to a boil to sanitize, let it cool and then add to the fermenter.

I would make belgian candy syrup, it's really taste on pancakes too, and you can make it pretty thick, that was, there's little chance of nucleation, but the yeast will stir it into solution anyways.

Back