Something growing in vapor lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestCountryMen

Reaction score
Hello, I started making some hard cider for the first time recently. Everything seemed to be going according to plan, but within 24 hours of adding the yeast (and yeast nutrient) and then sealing it with the vapor lock, there is something filling up the vapor lock tube and the liquid in it. It looks brownish yellow but there is also some little white stuff floating. It is also on the inside of the jug itself, below the vapor lock but above the cider. What is this and is the cider ruined?
Thanks

Did you add the nutrient after you shook it up? This has happened to me before (on the sides of the fermenter) where I have added nutrient undissolved and some of it has stuck to the sides and a yeast colony started growing..

What liquid did you use in your airlock? There are a few people here including me that use cheap vodka so it will kill any mold or bacteria that try to grow in your airlock.

Tnoodle said:
What liquid did you use in your airlock? There are a few people here including me that use cheap vodka so it will kill any mold or bacteria that try to grow in your airlock.

I use Star San, but you've made me wonder if it keeps it's sanitising quality over a period of weeks.

I use Star San, but you've made me wonder if it keeps it's sanitising quality over a period of weeks.

It will keep sanitizing for a long long time if mixed properly with DI/Distilled Water/RO water.

If you used tap water (high carbonate/stuff or high pH water) it may not work so well.

I used everclear vodka actually. I shook up everything including yeast nutrient before adding the airlock, but it could be from the nutrient, I'm not sure how well dissolved it was before adding it to the cider, I dossolved it a bit.

It sounds like you're getting krausen in there. I

Oh yeah you're right, that's what it appears to be. So I guess the question is, do I need to do anything about it? I don't think it is blocking it entirely, in other words the vodka still seems to be bubbling up and down about once every second or two? Thanks

Oh yeah you're right, that's what it appears to be. So I guess the question is, do I need to do anything about it? I don't think it is blocking it entirely, in other words the vodka still seems to be bubbling up and down about once every second or two? Thanks

Well normally if it's still blowing we recommend replace it with a blowoff tube. But since another 12 hours have gone by since I posted, I'd say the fermentation is winding down. What I would do would be to wash and re-sanitize the airlock and replace it.

Back