Some more noobie questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bs22619

Reaction score
So im planning on starting my first batch of cider, and am a little confused about the yeast.....If i use a regular vile, or liquid pack of yeast, which normally is used in a 5 gallon batch of beer going to give it an undesirable flavor or anything of that nature when added to just one gallon of juice? Also will adding regular table sugar lend in a more alcoholic cider as opposed to just a sweeter drink? -thank you

Most people on here use dry yeast like a champagne yeast for two reasons. It is cheaper and it works great. I have only added corn sugar and honey to mine, some some have used table sugar or brown sugar. I made a few 1 gallon batches right in the juice bottle with a rubber stopper and airlock to see if I liked it before committing to a 5 gallon batch. I am drinking one now!

Use Dextrose (corn sugar) and for 1 gallon, I would not add more than 8 oz. of it. Are you going to use a cider yeast?

Check out Apfelwein while you are at it.

well I just picked up a one of those slap the pack to start yeast packets specifically for Ciders, Meads, Wine etc. And like all of the brewing yeasts, its for 5 gallons. Im planning on just using it on three or four gallons of juice instead of just the one I have bought already. I figure I will Let it ferment just like I let my beer ferment(length of time, temp. etc.). However I want a bit higher of an alcohol content so will corn sugar do this for me?

The way I have been told, is that a little yeast at the start means it takes longer for the yeast to multiply before it starts making alcohol. If you put a lot (like a 5 gal smack pack in a gallon or so) it just takes off earlier. The yeast you put in the must will multiply until it can't any longer, then it starts to make alcohol. So extra at the start isn't a bad thing. At least that is what I've been told.

Back