Slow cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaem

Reaction score
Just before it turned cold here in November I squeezed 19 gallons of cider from an older full size golden russet. These apples are often on the higher side for sugar content, and the older unfertilized orchard I maintain probably runs on the low side for protein. The cider measured 19 Brix, and I was pretty happy with that.

My freezer was full of home-squeeze cider, so I had no choice but to fill 3 six gallon carboys with 18 of the gallons. Pitched one packet of Safale S-04 split between the carboys which took a couple days to get going. The space where the carboys live runs around 60 F and things were nice and steady through Christmas. I racked to two 5 gallon carboys and one six gallon just to get off the lees and let them rip until the end of January. Still bubbling but slower, I then racked into three 5 gallon carboys with minimal head space. SG around 1.02. Perhaps in a stupid move, I used a gallon of fresh cider to get the carboys full within an inch of the airlock. Things seriously slowed down, but then started up once again. Well, they're still going today. I shut off the heat in that room to hold them back a bit as there is very little headspace for any foam.

In the past I've filtered at SG around 1.02, force carbonated, and bottled. I figured this time to let them bulk age to whatever SG they prefer. I figured the low protein might just stall the ferment and leave me with a sweet cider with less fuss than filter sterilize. Didn't figure it would take 3 months or more to get to the aging part. Guessing that the low protein content is holding the yeast back pretty big time, prolonging the ferment. My current plan remains one of sloth; I think I'll let them bubble away for a while longer, but hold on the racking. The lees are minimal, and the majority of fermentation appears to be happening down there.

Latest posts

Back