S05 and S04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I just recently made two batches one with S04 and one with S05. The one with S05 had 2 lbs. of corn of corn sugar and the S04 had 2 lbs. of brown sugar. I used the same cheap apple juice. The batch with the S05 has been in the fermentor for six weeks the S04 about three weeks. The S04 is really clear already but still fermenting. The S05 is done but cloudy. Anyone else ever experience this with S05?

I've used s-05 quite a bit and have never had an issue with it. Usually only took about 10-15 days for fermentation to completely stop. As for clearing, I cold crash before I bottle, it will stay a bit cloudy up until that point sometimes. But all in all, I'm fairly satisfied with the yeast.

Most of us, I suppose. The Chico strain (s-05/WLP001/Wyeast 1056) is known for it's quick and clean ferment, as well as it's mediocre flocculation. Since you're making cider, you might consider letting them age a bit, 4 weeks minimum, right on the yeast cake. To clear up the s-05 batch, cold crash for a few days before packaging. It will eventually fall bright.

The s-04 strain, which is similar to many other English strains, is known for its fantastic flocculation. Let me know how that cider turns out, I plan to make one this weekend using s-04 for the first time.

Cheers!

I will be kegging them both so I guess that will do for cold crashing. The fermentation may be a bit slow because they are in my basement which is 58 degrees. I don't know what fermentation temp was. I'll let you know how it turns out after it sits for a while.

I forgot to take a gravity reading in the S05 batch but the S04 was 1.055 I am assuming they are pretty close to the same starting gravity.

Most of us, I suppose. The Chico strain (s-05/WLP001/Wyeast 1056) is known for its quick and clean ferment, as well as its mediocre flocculation. Since you're making cider, you might consider letting them age a bit, 4 weeks minimum, right on the yeast cake. To clear up the s-05 batch, cold crash for a few days before packaging. It will eventually fall bright.

The s-04 strain, which is similar to many other English strains, is known for its fantastic flocculation. Let me know how that cider turns out, I plan to make one this weekend using s-04 for the first time.

Cheers!

this. just like with beer, s05 takes its time to fall clear in a cider, but it will go clear eventually. in my experience it even takes over a week in the fridge to drop. it makes a good cider though, and it will only get better as you wait

Back