Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Reasons not to use a Better Bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856

Probably because he's been in on many previous discussions of the same topic that keeps getting rehashed with no new information.

Would you rather he said "learn to use the search function" like is common on other forums?
I do understand your point, But maybe to the person posting that's a bit harsh. And is it the fault of the new forum member not to follow the past posts of old? I understand the search function but if the guy is new then shouldn't we be helpful and not brisk.
Lastly, If someone is frustrated with information being brought up over again maybe not commenting is the right way to go.

Please don't get me wrong guys, I'm not trying to be persnickety or argumentative, I just had someone be kind of short with me once when I was brand-new on a forum and it seemed a little unfriendly...
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #12
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln
I apologize for my snippiness. I just know the Anti-Glass Nazis are going to be coming for me. It's making me irritable.
Lol... That was good Lincoln...
I know a few of those guys too, There goose-stepping towards us... Hahaha

Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
Inner10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've never used a better bottle...I'm just a glass man at heart. I've got Pyrex carboys that are probably older than many members.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #14
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 52

In most carboys it is the closure/airlock that causes problems in long term storage. (PETE carboys)

Better Bottles with their particular closure, as well as a glass carboy with a suitable (similar) closure are both good for long term storage.

From an old post ...
Common silicone or PVC stoppers are really not suitable for long term storage and are notorious for allowing in oxygen long term. As well, any closure using liquid over the long haul will gradually leach oxygen thru the liquid in the airlock.

The best against oxygen infiltration are something like the closure products from Better Bottles. Other things that work well are natural rubber stoppers or carboy-caps ... although with natural rubber, very old ones will eventually dry out.
The old, stinky black or red neoprene stoppers are also decent against oxygen infiltration ... it just the odor potentially getting into your product that seems to be a downside.

One other potential downside for glass carboys is that they are subject to micro-cracking from rough handling, crappy manufacturing, and also from significant freeze/thaw cycles. For instance, glass carboys kept long term in a garage where the winter temps get below -0* winter and +90* summer could potentially introduce structural problems. While this does not *necessarily* mean that you will have increased oxygen infiltration or a carboy failure (you pick it up full of liquid one day and it falls apart) ... it is still something to keep in mind. Particularly if you buy carboys used.

A downside for Better Bottles carboy? ... although the BB carboy is manufactured to have much less oxygen infiltration than other PETE carboys, I believe that just as with wine bottles; a new, well manufactured solid glass carboy with a proper closure will prevent undesirable oxygen infiltration better than the plastic BB carboy will, long term ... but I am talking about very long term storage ... 3 or 5 years plus. And when you are storing something that long there are a whole host of other factors that one needs to be on top of to improve the likelihood of successful long term storage.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got 12 better bottles and 8 glass carboys and have used both for many years. I prefer the BBs for reasons that you can easily find with the search function, so I wont repeat here - but people keep giving me their old glass carboys and I've held on to a few of the nicer ones.

I will add this: I know dozens of brewers and have seen quite a few switch from glass to BBs, but never the other way around. Check your local craigslist. Old glass carboys can be found a dime a dozen. I doubt you'll find anyone selling a BB. There is a reason for this.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #16
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I like the BB beacause they are much lighter to move around. The one thing that has me curious is I let my dirty BB's sit outside at times for a week soaking in Oxy Clean. Will the sun eventually weaken the plastic?

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #17
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Wow, convincing argument.

But as Triumph the insult comic dog would say
"Better bottles are nice.... FOR ME TO POOP ON"!

I'm sticking with glass.

PastorofMuppets Likes This 
Old 03-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #18
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfaninSanDiego
I like the BB beacause they are much lighter to move around. The one thing that has me curious is I let my dirty BB's sit outside at times for a week soaking in Oxy Clean. Will the sun eventually weaken the plastic?
I would bet "Yes"

Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #19
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 258

I have both. If I was starting over I would only have BB, mainly because the are light and easy to move around and I don't have to worry about breaking them.

Actually, it I was starting over, I probably would have nothing but buckets...

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #20
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i almost strictly use buckets. my 1 carboy is a better bottle. reason? because when i rack the few types i rack, i've sometimes had a few, and i've never dropped and broke a bb, then cut myself on it. never cut myself on a glass carboy, either, but would be much easier, and i have dropped a couple of them...

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Quick Reply