is PURE Peach Juice cider possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermenteverything

Reaction score
Anybody know whether or not it is possible, to use peach juice (no apple base) to create a cider. Just peach juice and maybe honey and seasoning, but no apple juice.
I've been searching for recipes for this but all the ones that I found had an apple base, so that makes me think there might be a reason for it...

I think the reason is that pure peach juice is pretty tart after the sugar has been fermented out. I think you'd have to dilute the juice with water to get a palatable end product. You MIGHT be able to do some acid reduction & backsweetening, but then you run the risk of a chalky taste, or at best tasting like peach juice with a shot vodka in it. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

how would you press them? it seems like you would just end up with goup.
i know that in eastern europe plum brandy is popular but i don't know what it is they ferment- if it is pure plum juice or if it is plum mash + sugar boiled up in water ???
good luck anyways and post results please

It wouldn't be a cider then. It'd be a peach wine.

Edit: Cider refers to anything with the apple base, so a peach cider will be apples & peaches. You can certainly do a fruit wine, or mead with fruit, but you probably would wind up adding sugar to help ferment. If you look up peach wine, then you'll find much more than if you look up peach cider. For example, peaches, sugar, water, pectic enzyme, tannin.

Last year I made some Peach Brandy from an old European recipe I found on the internet. After Harvest of your peaches, Take the skins and pits from 20 peaches and put in a quart jar. Add 2 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar boiled together to make a syrup. Seal the jar tight and bury it for about 4 months.

It didn't ferment much but it had a great peach flavor.

I would think you could do something like that and put in a fermenting bucket and pitch some yeast in. Let it sit in an area just warm enough for the yeast to work. I might try it next year.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for KevinM. Cider = apples.

I wonder if I could ferment pure, strained peach juice until as clear and light as possible (when yeast has settled out to the point of being almost completely dormant), then add a certain amount of extra peach juice (after using those tablets to kill the yeast) to replace all the sugary sweetness used up during fermentation, and allow any small amount of resulting fermentation to finish, then bottle (non carbonated). I don't see why not.

"Those tablets" don't necessarily kill the yeast, just prevent their multiplication, but you've got the right idea. In fact, it sounds like a similar thing might be my next experiment. I think I'll pasteurize instead of using chems though.

About a month ago I found at the grocery store some apple cider with peach syrup added, I put a cinnamon stick (in a 1/2 gallon jug) and after a week in the fridge it tasted great.

Sounds pretty good and it should work. You'd want to find out whether or not you'd want to add sugar to increase the gravity or not if you were using complete juice and no water.

I was thinking of doing something similar with cranberries a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to it.

"Those tablets" don't necessarily kill the yeast, just prevent their multiplication, but you've got the right idea. In fact, it sounds like a similar thing might be my next experiment. I think I'll pasteurize instead of using chems though.

-could you possibly fill me in on the pasteurization technique? I am against using chemicals in my brews, but i just assumed that it would be a ridiculous process that requires industrial machines... or something.

heres a wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurize

its very simple, and if you brew beer, youre technically pasteurizing. All you do it heat up a liquid, the temp varies for the material, but 160-180F is a safe range, and cool it down quickly. This kills, almost all the bacteria without affecting the nutrients of the liquid.

Pear "cider" = Peary.

And, Peach "cider" = "Peachy".

No, seriously. Which is supposedly where we get the word, Peachy. In colonial times, aged Peachy was considered on par with the finest wines, and became an apellation for high quality.

You can also look up "Mobby", which was a peach "cider", sometimes a distilled version, a Peach Brandy. And, to be somewhat tedious, In the early colonial days, in some areas, peach trees were more than just plentiful. In some areas, they were so common that they were treated as obnoxious plants. Hogs were fed on peaches. Peach trees were planted close together as wind-rows, and the branches were woven together as fencing.

I believe you can pasturise the juice by heating for a period of time, Not Boiling but scalding. Boiling will change the flavor.

Pear "cider" = Peary.

No, seriously. Which is supposedly where we get the word, Peachy. In colonial times, aged Peachy was considered on par with the finest wines, and became an apellation for high quality.

You can also look up "Mobby", which was a peach "cider", sometimes a distilled version, a Peach Brandy. And, to be somewhat tedious, In the early colonial days, in some areas, peach trees were more than just plentiful. In some areas, they were so common that they were treated as obnoxious plants. Hogs were fed on peaches. Peach trees were planted close together as wind-rows, and the branches were woven together as fencing.
I’m reviving this thread! I have been on the search for years for a Real Peachy, but sadly haven’t ever found one Nor gotten around to making some. You are the only person that has known what I’m talking about! I read about it in one of Eric Sloan’s books.

Has anyone found any real Peachy?! OR made some. No sugar sugar or water just pure peaches fermented, just like real cider. Which the only cider I can find that’s pure apples unfiltered and unpasteurized is J.K. Skrumpy’s all other ciders are filtered and pasteurized sadly.

How hard would it be for me to make pure cider or Peachy?

Also back in the day they Never let the cider or anything come in contact with metal, they believed it contaminated the cider/Peachy.

Peachy was considered the best of all three, hence “I’m feeling Peachy” for when you were feeling great

I too have wanted to try this since I made my first batch of cider. I mostly brew beer... But last fall I decided to take some local farm cider (blended pressing of all their apples and UV sterilized .. No other pasteurization). Threw one of my beer yeast strains on it, let it sit 2 months in the secondary and back sweetened with apple juice concentrate. No bottling as I keg and it was phenomenal. As we approached Apple season I have friends and family begging for it. But with peach season going on ... I'm not about to press my own... Ain't nobody got time for that.... I've been searching for pure peach pressed juice to to the same thing with.

Never knew cider was exclusively apples. Learn something new everyday

Has anyone found any real Peachy?! OR made some. No sugar sugar or water just pure peaches fermented, just like real cider. Which the only cider I can find that’s pure apples unfiltered and unpasteurized is J.K. Skrumpy’s all other ciders are filtered and pasteurized sadly.
Mission Trail made one that was only fermented peach juice (no apple). They specialize in "Jerkum" (fermented plum juice), and sort of extended that term to any stone fruit juice. I highly recommend checking them out.

Since I hadn't found it again this last year, I tried to make my own Peachy last month. It proved to be problematic, like the plum jerkum one I did before that, and so now I have a bunch of frozen peaches until I come up with a better plan of action.

Pear "cider" = Peary.

I realize this post is from almost a decade ago, but I'm pretty skeptical of this. I think "peachy" is much more likely to be an evolution of "They're just a peach" or similar phrases describing people. Some googling comes up with a 1950s DJ for popularizing "peachy keen". Some more googling shows peach brandy was well thought of back in the day, but that's it.

Searching "peachy" gets you nothing about fermentation.

Back