NOOB Cider and Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahrenswett

Reaction score
last saturday i started my apprazz cider and last night took a reading that hinted to it being around 10% however it didnt taste very good (was more tart than sweet but would rock yoursocks off :) so i threw in about a cup of perservitive free NA cider from the store in hopes it would help it out. I was going to rack it to secondary and wasnt sure i should since the fermentaion process has picked up again with a bubble about every 8 seconds or so. any sugesstions
I used

about half pint of real maple syrup
about 1/2 cup sugar in the raw
tbsn cinnamon and sugar
1/2 tbsn all spice
half an apple crushed
one small box
razzberrys crushed

this is about a gallon of cider

How can I sweeten this up a bit.

if you're wanting to sweeten it, i would cold crash it to stop the fermentation and then rack to secondary with some more sweet stuff, maybe more juice/cider. are you bottling or kegging? if bottling, you could have a real mess on your hands if you over sweeten and put it in bottles.

if you're wanting to sweeten it, i would cold crash it to stop the fermentation and then rack to secondary with some more sweet stuff, maybe more juice/cider. are you bottling or kegging? if bottling, you could have a real mess on your hands if you over sweeten and put it in bottles.

Cold crashing and racking does not get rid of the yeast. It will get ird of a lot of it, but if you bring it back to room temperature it will start fermenting any new sugars you may have added.

Thanks for the help. I have another cider going but think I messed up part of my recipe. The day I started I cleaned two carboys one as a primary one as a secondary. After I filled the primary I boiled a small sauce pan with a vanilla bean bag of oak chips and a small amount of fresh pressed cider. I rapidly cooled it and put it into the secondary with an airlock to keep it all sterile only at room temperature. I think I just made a batch of useless moldy crap. I can't tell now but I'm thinking it may be a bad idea to use no mater how sterile I kept it.

Back