Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > new cider brewer - possible dumb question(S)...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
ctt76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default new cider brewer - possible dumb question(S)...

Hello - I am new to brewing and thought I would start with a simple cider before progressing to beer. Per the advice of a local home brew outlet owner, I began as follows:
1 gallon pasteurized Whole Foods Organic apple juice, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1 gram EC-1118 champagne yeast in a glass gallon jug. Cap inserted with vodka in the airlock. After 3 days I began to see fermentation. All activity stopped after 2.5 weeks. So, I moved to another 1-gallon jug and added more brown sugar and 1/4 cup honey along with another gram of yeast. I was out of vodka, so (again per the advice of the store owner) I put a drop of sanitizer and water in the airlock. **while installing the cap/airlock, I pushed too hard and noticed some of the water/sanitizer leak back into my cider....is it ruined??!! Basically, since the transfer, I have seen no new fermentation and it has been almost 4 days. Am I screwed? I wanted to do another 2 week secondary then add some spices and let it sit a little longer in a third. I measured with the hydrometer when I did the transfer and saw only about 2% alcohol content. The whole home-brewing process sounded like fun at first, but with thousands of opinions and websites, it is all a little overwhelming. I just want to know if my batch is ruined. Also, I have heard about boiling before, boiling after, creating a starter on the stove, etc. What does all of that mean? Will it work if I did it how I described? Confused. Sorry for the newb ignorance lol. Help please!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

Dude a little satize solution won't hurt give it some time and ur cider will be fine.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
DarkPhyre
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

lots of questions.
Main point, how is it ruined if it tastes good?
PERIOD.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Dicky
Recipes 

Ok, to start, don't boil. Boiling sets in pectin and causes the cider to become cloudy.
2% abv sounds mighty low after that long. What was your OG and FG?

I've never added yeast to a secondary before. Usually there would be enough yeast in the brew to continue fermenting the added honey on it's own, but i can't really see it hurting.

I can't see that little sanitiser really hurting your cider. Perhaps add some nutrient, give it a little stir with a sanitised spoon and put it somewhere warm (around 75 F).

Finally, there are many, many, MANY trains of thought about the brewing process. You will see countless discussions on here about alls kinds of topics. In my opinion, the best thing to do is just experiment.

Just chill.

Dicky

Old 11-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 715 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 1790

Which sanitizer?

Old 11-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
ctt76
Recipes 

Thanks for all the input. I guess I'm impatient. Haha. The sanitizer is Star Sans. Label rubbed off. Can't see whole title.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Leave it in the same jug and add what you want; just make sure what you add does not infect the cider. I would keep it simple if it was my first time around just to see how it works out. The star san in there is fine. With all that sugar and honey the abv will be much higher than 2%, I bet you turned the hydrometer to see 2%. Being impatient is a sure sign of your interest, now you have to wait till X-Mas for your fine efforts to show the true fruits of your labor. Cheers

Quick Reply