Need advice. fermentation speed and temperature with sweet cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
I know that when making a dry cider, it is always recommended to ferment slowly in a cool environment in order to preserve aromas but does the same principle apply if making a sweet carbonated cider that would be bottled at 1.020 ?

I'm asking as the batch I started last night with s-04 is going faster than I ever seen and it making lots of foam on top of carboy so that I can't even get a decent reading directly in the carboy because of all the foam(think it went from 1.072 to 1.055 in 24 hours). It was fermenting in a room at 72 so I took it downstairs in a room that is a steady 59 to slow it down a bit ... is this a bad idea ?

I took it downstairs in a room that is a steady 59 to slow it down a bit ... is this a bad idea ?

No - Around 60 is a good temp for S04. A slower ferment is easier to stop, especially if you want to stop at a high sg.

Back