Mixing sugars for Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangebrewer

Reaction score
I purchased 2 lbs of corn sugar to make Apfelwein, and my all I got on my order was 1 lb. Is it a problem to mix 1 lb of corn sugar to 1 lb of brown sugar using red star montrachet yeast?

I really don't know- so take it FWIW; but, why not? I mean, I use table sugar in my wines and sometimes brown sugar, and sometimes honey. In apfelwein, a cider-y taste (or a little molasses-y taste from brown sugar) would be good!

I use montrachet yeast often for fruit wine.

I used a combination of dextrose and brown sugar in an apfelwein and it turned out fine, the brown sugar does give a more tart, or 'molassassey' taste, for lack of better words. I used Lalvin 1116 dry wine yeast so Im not 100% sure if it will be the same for Montrachet.

I noticed it also took a bit longer to clear, but if you crash cool it for a couple days it turns out great.

Thanks for the reply, I bought 1 lb dark brown sugar and mixed it according to the directions. I'll let you know how it turns out about 2 months or so from now.

it will work fine... it will take a little longer to ferment, and will be a little more tart thant with the 2 pounds of dextrose alone, but the brown sugar will still work... I used 2 pounds of dark brown sugar once, and no dextrose, and it was quite tart, but I think 1 pound of that and 1 pound of dextrose should come out mighty tasty...

Back