Making hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoptopia

Reaction score
Read somewhere te trick to hard cider is to city freeze it, then let it start to thaw upside down. When the run off reaches a certain brix stop it and ferment.

Is this accurate? Do I ferment the run off, which would be mostly water, or what's left in the still frozen jug?

What I think you are basically describing is freeze-distilling (which happens to be illegal in the US). Hard cider can be made simply with apple juice, any adjunct sugars you want to add, and yeast. No freezing required. Freeze-distilling is where you would take already fermented cider, freeze it, and then pour off the alcohol, which will not have frozen. However, this can be dangerous, not to mention illegal, because of the possible concentration of methanol as well as ethanol.

What I think you are basically describing is freeze-distilling (which happens to be illegal in the US). Hard cider can be made simply with apple juice, any adjunct sugars you want to add, and yeast. No freezing required. Freeze-distilling is where you would take already fermented cider, freeze it, and then pour off the alcohol, which will not have frozen. However, this can be dangerous, not to mention illegal, because of the possible concentration of methanol as well as ethanol.

holy misinformation

"freeze distilling" is not illegal is the United States, nor is it all that dangerous.

regardless you described freeze concentrating, a method of making ice wine, not freeze distilling. one method concentrates sugar before fermenting, one concentrates alcohols after.

is that the difference? I honestly think they are really the same thing.

ice wine is made from grapes that are frozen still on the vine.

ice cider can be made by either the same process, letting them freeze on the tree, or harvesting, pressing, and letting the juice freeze. not sure when fermentation begins.

Latest posts

Back