Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Kegging cider.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sorbate alone will work as long as aging is done. The yeast won't be able to reproduce and the remaining viable cells will eventually die out. Campden + sorbate is definitely preferred for a quick turnaround.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I prefer my cider dry AND bottle so I've never tried this.

For arguments sake:

You want your cider at 1.010. Could you just put in the campden + sorbate when it hits this level? Or is it just easy to kill off everything once fermentation is complete then backsweeten? I would expect this would be too risky if bottling.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I prefer my cider dry AND bottle so I've never tried this.

For arguments sake:

You want your cider at 1.010. Could you just put in the campden + sorbate when it hits this level? Or is it just easy to kill off everything once fermentation is complete then backsweeten? I would expect this would be too risky if bottling.
Never tried that either, but from what I've read from the vino guys, it won't work. So much campden is needed to knock down an active fermentation that the taste is ruined.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #14
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I tried to stop an active fermentation with Camden once. The yeast didn't even flinch.

I've never tried it, but to stop a ferment at 1.010, I'd try putting the carboy in the refrigerator for a week or two. Then, rack off the yeast. Then, camden+sorbate. It's just a theory.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:52 AM   #15
ewerbeck
Recipes 

This old thread seems like the appropriate place for me to ask.... I am going to keg some cider that will sit at 1.02. I do not want to carb in the keg--I want to force-carb.

The question is... how do I stop the fermentation before I keg? I see campden and sorbate only stop further fermentation and do not halt already ongoing fermentation. I also don't want to alter the flavor of the cider.

Heat is not an option, right? Cold crashing risks reactivation of cider... What are my options? Do I have any???

Old 08-16-2011, 01:53 AM   #16
ewerbeck
Recipes 

--reactivation of the yeast--

Old 08-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #17
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Kegging cider is easy-peasy. You don't stop the fermentation, you let it go all the way, until the yeasties are done. Then you add the campden and sorbate, wait a few days, then backsweeten with more juice or cider, back up to 1.02 or whatever level you want. Then keg and force carb.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
ewerbeck
Recipes 

Pappers... I hadn't thought of letting it go all the way out and then backsweetening it... Now I guess it is just a matter of how much campden and sorbate to add. Curious, why do you wait a few days? Just for absorption?

Old 08-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #19
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

fermenting the cider out and backsweetening seems to be a popular method, but IMHO its not as good as retaining the original apple sugars. That last 1.005 to 1.010 of residual sugars contains a lot of the apple flavors.

If you used an ale yeast, you should not have a problem with cold crashing, especially if you keep your keg cold afterwards.

as Yooper said in earlier post, campden and sorbate will work, but you have to add the campden first, let it mix for about an hour, then add the sorbate. I have used this method to stop active fermentations up to 1.010. It is very reliable, and easier than cold crashing, but I dont much care for the aftertaste.

Cold crashing is not difficult, but it takes a little practice. If you use ale yeast and keg, the risks are minimal.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #20
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll probably be looking at doing the cold crash method as well. I'd like to do a single 5 gallon batch instead of the single 1 gallons. However, even if cold crashing doesn't work out, or the fermentation keeps going, ideally the keg will have a working multi use relief valve. You'll just hear random muffled hisses coming from your fridge and the cat/dog may be a bit spooked, but nothing major.
I had an active fermentation going on in a keg and didn't connect a spunding valve correctly. I had wondered what was going on, sounded like a hissing cat then realized that it was just the keg and the relief valve. (The lager still turned out pretty good, though I said next time, I'd get a variable relief/spunding valve for a pressurized active fermentation.)

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Quick Reply