Which Hops for Graff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIMARIPA

Reaction score
I'm not much of a beer brewer (yet) but I'm hoping to make some graff. I don't really know the difference between types of hops. Are there any varieties in particular that you really like with graff? (I'm planning on makin some of Brandon O's graff if that helps)

I'd say it depends on what you want. If you're not familiar with different hops, try some beers that list what type of hops there are to get an idea of what the different aromas and flavors are.

Or, check out a chart like this one: http://www.brewsupplies.com/hops_reference_chart.htm to see descriptions of each hop. Then you can decide if you want something more floral, earthy, citrusy, piney, etc.

The sky's the limit with hops, really. So many to choose from. It really depends on what you like.

I like to use US. Goldings hops in graf. The AA% is only about 4.2, so I double the amount as his recipe calls for hops with about 8% AA. Besides, Goldings has such a nice, mellow, yet rich flavour & it's tough to over bitter with Goldings. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

I'm about to make this tomorrow. I purchased Cascade hops to use (5.5% AA), but I also have Mt. Hood (5.5%) and Hallertauer (3.6) on hand for my pumpkin ale, and might use one of those.

I'll probably stick with the Cascade though. I've never made this before, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Back