Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Hops in cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Bierenliefhebber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Hops in cider

My son had been after me for some time to make a batch of cider, so last month, I made a batch using a can of Brewmaster concentrate. The can was ostensibly for 22 liters, I only made it up to 15, and added 300 g each of dextrose and beet sugar, for an OG of 1.045. For yeast, I used the yeast that came with the cider kit, plus a packet of Safbrew S33. Final gravity was 1.004, giving it an a.b.v. of around 5%.

Being a beer brewer who had never made cider before, I figured to boil it for the better part of an hour (50 min), like I would do wort, and I added 5 grams of Tettnanger hops at the beginning of the boil, more for its preservative properties than for the flavor. That having been said, however, I think it also improved the flavor as well.

So, has anybody else tried putting a bit of hop in their apple cider? I don't see hops mentioned in a quick perusal through the posts here, so I'm thinking maybe this is something new. If indeed nobody has tried it, I'm quite pleased with the result, and can recommend it. I would think, though, that one would want to use a noble hop to avoid excessive bitterness, and to keep the amount modest, so the taste compliments that of the apples without drawing attention to itself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
hellpatrol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graf...-cider-117117/

boiling apple juice will change the flavor and set pectins - it will never clear

Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hops in cider has been around for a while now, but props to you for thinking of it independently!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
decibelz
Recipes 

I also did add hops to my cider three different ones actually . But I also added grains to it see I went to the farm by my house since they make it fresh with no additives 100% natural uv sterilized . I got 2 gal then I boiled up my grains as normal then I added the fresh cider as if it was extract I did it slowly so I wouldn't cool it down I figured this would be good to do to kill any wild yeast to be sure . Then I hopped it up added nutmeg all spice and cinnamon oh and brown sugar. My OG WAS 1.060-1.063 it's been in my carboy for a week now and I checked it at 1.010 and its still going I had to taste it . It's dry but not sour at all close to a white wine I would say

Old 10-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Bierenliefhebber
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I had a nagging suspicion that I had probably reinvented the wheel.

Let me say that this particular batch did, in fact, clear up nicely despite being boiled. Recall that this was a kit, consisting of a can of concentrate. Almost certainly the juice had already been heated to boiling and clarified prior to being put in the can. I have no doubt that, as helpatrol says, I would not have gotten the same degree of clarity had I boiled fresh apple juice.

Being a compulsive label-reader, I note that "malt extract" was listed among the ingredients on the can, so I assume my cider probably tastes similar to decibelz's, minus the spices. In fact, I was considering adding spices next time, or perhaps even some cherry juice.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
decibelz
Recipes 

Did you bottle/keg any yet? If you didn't you still can . Just check where you by your kits they should have spice you can add . Cause I added to my punkin ales secondary .

Or you could just wait to open and have glass and spice away as you drink them . I do it all the time it's fun ! I also made the coffee liquor and I drop a shot into my expresso stout . I used to use real expresso but I felt it got you to drunk with that kick of caffeine like a 4 loco now it's a 12% with a shot so its 27% It tastes so much better plus your not getting wired anymore

Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
decibelz
Recipes 

Oh and I also plan on adding more cinnamon sticks to my ciders secondary also

Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Bierenliefhebber
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, it's been in the bottle for about a month now. Aging out very nicely, if I may say so. I've also tried adding spices after the fact, just to give myself an idea what the actual brew would taste like. For example, to a glass of my last batch of rye stout, I added a couple of tablespoons of an infusion I made by boiling a bit of licorice root, to see if I might want to add some next time. In fact, this was also the system I used to help me decide whether to add hops to the cider. I didn't have any actual cider on hand, but I did have apple juice, so I boiled a few tettnanger cones in a quarter cup of water and added increasing amounts to a glass of apple juice, to see how it affected the taste. I decided the effect on taste was rather positive, and since the hop would (more importantly) inhibit the growth of bad bugs in my cider, I decided to add a bit to the boil. The cinnamon definitely is worth trying eventually, but since my son is a fan of Kriek, we'll probably add cherry juice the next time we brew up a batch of cider together.

Quick Reply