First Cider, Here's My Situation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefetty

Reaction score
Okay guys, this is my first batch. Kept a beer journal, here goes!

Dec 24th: Got my brew kit in the mail today! Started out with a hard cider recipe with a gallon of Indian summer apple juice, 1 cup of sugar, champagne yeast and a teaspoon of yeast nutrient. SP. GV. @ 1.070. Looked up that should be a dry cider but I was wanting a sweeter one. We will have to see how it turns out.

Dec 25th: The airlock was not showing much activity last night but when I woke up this morning things were going as planned. About 1 bubble per 7-10 seconds. (Later that night) Air lock is really showing signs of health! About 5 seconds between bubbles

Dec 26th: Took the outer cardboard paper off to check on progress and noticed a beautiful aroma wafting from the top of the air lock. Smells delicious. Bubbling every 3 seconds are so now. Moving right along. Looked up how to back sweeten the cider in case the final product isn't sweet enough. Problem is that once you back sweeten it all of the yeast is rendered inactive and there would be no way to naturally carbonate it in the bottles

Dec 27th: Woke this morning to find that the airlock had slowed it's activity to about 1 bubble every 10 seconds or so. I decided to take a gravity reading and it read 1.002. I did the calculations and from OG 1.070 that's right around 8 to 9 percent by volume. It taste quite dry but has a good flavor to it. I'm still considering back sweetening it. putting it in the fridge to try and cold crash it to get the cider to clear.

Today: So today I went to my local brew shop to be a few items and I bought a few things. Came home and racked off into a gallon jug and put it back into the fridge. So if anyone is even reading this lol, I guess I am wondering what I should do next? Should I use this super kleer (two stage euro finings) to clear it then use a campden tablet and 1/2 teaspoon potassium sorbate wait a few days then backsweeten? What would be the suggested action from here? I could stand to not backsweeten the cider because it taste pretty good as it is. So there it sits in the fridge awaiting my next move.

ForumRunner_20121228_212440.jpg

Would really appreciate any advice. Do this need to sit longer? Or if I use the super klear finings and it clears up, just bottle and pasteurize? I hear of people letting these thins sit for weeks but mine seems finished. Backsweeten and then pasteurize?

Back