Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Stove-Top Pasteurizing - With Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #201
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 898 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

You can use regular beer caps on champagne bottles, at least the ones I buy. You could open the bottles you've already corked and re-cap them.

For what its worth, I've never tried to pastuerize in champagne bottles, I hope it works out for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #202
nakeddog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well the concept is identical, so there should be no difference with a Champagne bottle compared to a regular beer bottle, except for the extra pressure allowance.

I put the 8 remaining bottles into the fridge for the night to give me time to decide what to do. As far as the four modified bottles, I think they will be fine for now. They seem to be holding the pressure so I might just keep an eye on them for now.

The bottle cap idea is an intriguing one, except that means I have to invest in a bottle capping system. Not overly expensive, it's just that I have no other usage for one. I bottle strictly 750ml bottles and will be upgrading to kegs soon. And besides, the uncorking is half the fun of a good cider.

It will have to wait until tomorrow regardless, so maybe another option might become available before then.

Thanks!

On Deck: Good question
Primary: CDA
Secondary: Empty
Kegged: Finnish Blond
Bottled: The Bitter Belgian, Drunken Porter, Steamin' Ale, Caramel Hefe, Finnish Blond, CDA, End of Days

Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #203
ashyg
Recipes 

I have some cider that I started fermenting in November that I'm about to get around to bottling(long conditioning, can't hurt, right? ) and I want to backsweeten and pasteurize...

One thing I'm confused about: won't the CO2 not be dissolved in the cider immediately, meaning that I might get "gushers" from the bottles when I'm testing them to see if they're appropriately carb'd?

Primary 1 -- Hard cider, 1.057 OG w/ champagne yeast
Primary 2 -- Irish Red

In the works: Lagunitas' Brown Shugga Clone

Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #204
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakeddog View Post
Well the concept is identical, so there should be no difference with a Champagne bottle compared to a regular beer bottle, except for the extra pressure allowance.
The champagne holds a larger volume and its glass is thicker than a typical beer bottle. Both of those potentially impact the transfer of heat from the water to the cider. You're right, the concept is the same, but I'm suggesting that using champagne bottles means that you may have to carefully adjust your process.

Best wishes!

Jim

Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #205
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyg View Post
I have some cider that I started fermenting in November that I'm about to get around to bottling(long conditioning, can't hurt, right? ) and I want to backsweeten and pasteurize...

One thing I'm confused about: won't the CO2 not be dissolved in the cider immediately, meaning that I might get "gushers" from the bottles when I'm testing them to see if they're appropriately carb'd?
That makes sense, but it hasn't been my experience.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #206
nakeddog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, I found out the hard way that Champagne bottles don't accept standard beer caps. Only their Belgian siblings do. So now I am back to where I began, without a solution. The only thing I can come up with is to grab a dozen beer bottles from somewhere and just transfer everything to bottles and begin again. At that point I'll need to revisit this idea to find a way for my Champagne bottles to work.

Bottled: The Bitter Belgian, Drunken Porter, Steamin' Ale, Caramel Hefe, Finnish Blond, CDA, End of Days

Old 03-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #207
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Sorry, Naked, didn't mean to mislead you. The champagne bottles sold here in the USA take standard beer bottle caps, at least the ones I bought at my local homebrew store.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #208
nakeddog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No, no. No worries Pappers, I have always thought the same myself. And to be honest, a capper will find usage in my brewing closet so it wasn't a wasted purchase. I appreciate the suggestions as you can tell I'm running out of my own currently.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #209
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 22

i believe belgian champagne-style ale / kriek / lambic / etc bottles also take the larger (is it 29mm?) caps. this is of course no use to you now unless you want to get yet another piece of kit you may never use again. or you can go down the poor man's route and bottle in plastic? i would hate to do it, but worse things have happened.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #210
gmeadevt
Recipes 

Nakeddog, what problem did you have with the capper. Cap too small? If so the 29mm cap will probably take care of the problem. If you're using one of the hand cappers, you may need to flip the plates in the throat to get it to fit around the neck of the bottle. At least that's what I have to do.

Quick Reply