Cold aging vs Not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquidavalon

Reaction score
I just would like some opinions on, after bottling and bottle pasteurization...is it better to age in the fridge, cupboard or some other way to age ( if so why? ). I only ask this due to some searching on here from tips ect for cherry-apple cider and one reply was that it ages better in the fridge. Thanks in advance.

Refrigeration will keep the integrity of the beer in tack longer. Over time hop characteristics will fade as well as the general body of the beer but not as quickly as if the beer stays cold.

ehedge20 said:
Refrigeration will keep the integrity of the beer in tack longer. Over time hop characteristics will fade as well as the general body of the beer but not as quickly as if the beer stays cold.

If I was making beer...great. But I am making hard cider...aging said cider is what I was referring to. =)

It works either way, the refrigeration will help keep the apple flavor from fermenting out over time as well as keep the dryness from becoming to pronounced.

ehedge20 said:
It works either way, the refrigeration will help keep the apple flavor from fermenting out over time as well as keep the dryness from becoming to pronounced.

Good to know. Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

Things age faster at warmer temperatures, so if the cider needs some time to smooth out, a warmer temperature is a good idea. I keep everything at cellar temperature when it's bottled.

i age in the coolest room in my apartment, since i don't have a cellar, which in the winter is usually around 17 deg C, works well for me, apple flavor is usually more pronounced with age as the really sharp flavors subside a bit, there are no flavors (nor sugars) fermenting out in the bottle!

Back