Changed color after racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budd0413

Reaction score
Today I racked off 5 gallons of cider into my only clean carboy (a 6gal better bottle) I did not want all the airspace so I cleaned the 5 gal glass carboy that the cider had been in and transferred it back. I used one step to clean.... When transferring the cider back to the glass 5 gal, it went from a nice clear orange/red color to a yellow/black color instantly. What happened?

Still trying to figure this one out. I'm guessing that the one step may have oxidized the cider but not sure. Only time will tell if the taste changed.

Does it smell any different? Apparently oxidized cider can smell nutty, sort of like sherry: Cidermaking

Oxidized apples do turn brown. One step is sodium percarbonate which is an oxidizing agent. Is there a chance you bunged up your dilutions?

If your cider turns black when oxidised it means some iron (fe) is in it. When the apples where milled or pressed they probably came into contact with some mild steel.

I pressed the apples September 30, let ferment with s04, the cider was normal color right up to the point that I racked it. As soon as it hit the freshly sanitized carboy it changed color. I will post some pics when I get on a computer.

Never got around to posting pics but this cider has been sitting in a carboy in my keezer since I started this thread, now it is clear but pitch black.... Very strange no off smells but I haven't tried to taste it!

I'm going to guess that since you used One Step, you didn't rinse the carboy after sanitizing, or you didn't let the carboy dry before racking back into it.

I've never rinsed or dried a carboy after one step. It says you don't have to on the package. And I've never had something like that happen.

I've never rinsed or dried a carboy after one step. It says you don't have to on the package. And I've never had something like that happen.

I know you don't have to. I use Star San myself, it is also a "no rinse" sanitizer. But I do rinse, and I've never had a problem.

I've racked graff/cider into a carboy cleaned with one-step without rinsing or drying, and never had a problem. I'm assuming your racking equipment was similarly sanitized? Could Idofor do this?

Back