Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #411
kluge9
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

OG was 1.064 and currently sitting at 1.014 at 12 days (6.7% ABV). Chances this will continue to ferment a bit drier? Used Fermentis Safale S-04 and am heading out of town on Tuesday. Going to give it to Sunday to ferment a bit longer then rack onto the camden tablets before the backsweetening (it didn't get very dry, so i'll start with 1 can of the AJ concentrate and go from there) on Monday. Then a 14-28 day room temp rest in the keg with enough pressure to seal the lid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 AM   #412
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Bottled my batch today from the Secondary. OG was 1.062 on 9/17... FG yesterday when I transfered to secondary was 1.004. Used nottingham with one addition of yeast nutrient on the third day. Added the syrup and 3 cans of AJ concentrate and it tastes like liquid apple sauce, smells like apple pie. Gonna let it carb for a few days and then pasteurize to serve at a Halloween party on the 27th. Can't wait

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 10-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #413
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by janson745 View Post
So heres a question. So, I just found out about carb tablets... Would it be possible to use campden tabs to kill off all yeast, then add Carb tabs to get desired carbonation? That way you wouldn't have to worry about waiting correct amount of time and pasteurizing the bottles?
I don't think campdem tablets kills yeast

Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #414
braq24
Recipes 

Default PET Keg

Hey guys,
Any ideas on how to get this into the Tap-A-Draft PET bottles? I read through about 28 posts, couldn't find anyone addressing this yet. I know I can't pasteurize in these things.

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #415
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by braq24 View Post
Hey guys,
Any ideas on how to get this into the Tap-A-Draft PET bottles? I read through about 28 posts, couldn't find anyone addressing this yet. I know I can't pasteurize in these things.

Thanks!
Lots of opening and releasing pressure every so often? Otherwise, you may end up having to make a still cider. Maybe someone else will have a method...

Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #416
Kashue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Seems like the easiest way would be to let it carb as desired in another container, pasteurize it or chemically arrest the yeast, then transfer it to the Tap-A-Draft and use a CO2 cart to keep your fizz up as needed. Kind of like you would if you were using it for a take-home from a microbrewery, or with soda.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #417
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janson745 View Post
So heres a question. So, I just found out about carb tablets... Would it be possible to use campden tabs to kill off all yeast, then add Carb tabs to get desired carbonation? That way you wouldn't have to worry about waiting correct amount of time and pasteurizing the bottles?
Pretty sure carb tablets are nothing more than priming sugar in a hard compressed form. In order for them to work, you will need living yeast.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider
Newsman Likes This 
Old 10-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #418
buckeyebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am getting ready to try this. Thanks for the recipe. I noticed that it is recommended that you test carbonation with a plastic bottle to help prevent glass bottle bombs. I was wwondering what you do with the remaining primed cider while testing with the plastic bottles. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #419
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrew View Post
I am getting ready to try this. Thanks for the recipe. I noticed that it is recommended that you test carbonation with a plastic bottle to help prevent glass bottle bombs. I was wwondering what you do with the remaining primed cider while testing with the plastic bottles. Thanks.
You bottle everything, mostly in glass with 1 or 2 plastic's. When the plastic get rock hard you know it is time to pasteurize the glass.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #420
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts

Default Recipe Update!

I have made some changes to the recipe. Changes are in RED.

Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Ingredients, Part 1:
7 x 96 ounce bottles (5.25 gallons) Wegmans 100% Apple Juice, pasteurized, only vitamin C added
2 lbs. Dextrose
Nottingham Yeast
6 tsp Yeast Nutrient (or follow the directions on your bottle of yeast nutrient for a 6 gallon batch). This will help eliminate the "Rhino Fart" phase of fermentation.

Ingredients, Part 2
5 campden tablets (Optional, see notes)
3 – 12 oz. cans of Frozen Concentrated Apple Juice, thawed to room temperature (Reduced from 5 cans, this will make it less sweet, and make it not carb up so fast. Feel free to adjust the amount of FCAJ to your taste.)
Caramel Syrup (See recipe below)

Recipe for Caramel Syrup: (Make about 24 hours before bottling)
2 cups of water
2 cups of light brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon, OR 1/2 tsp liquid cinnamon extract
Combine in a saucepan and bring to a low boil. At boil, reduce heat to Low and simmer for about 5 minutes. (EDIT: Removed "Reduce by half". This may have been making the syrup too thick to properly mix) Let cool & bottle for future use.

Part 1:
Opened 1 bottle of apple juice, got a gravity reading of 1.050. Temp is 64 degrees.

In a 6 gallon carboy, pour in bottles 1 and 2 of apple juice.

Open bottles 3 and 4 of apple juice. Pour half of each bottle into carboy. Add 1 pound dextrose per bottle to the remaining amount of apple juice in bottles 3 and 4. Shake bottles to mix sugar and apple juice. Pour bottles 3 and 4 into carboy.

Pour bottles 5, and 6 of apple juice into carboy. Take another sample for OG, got a reading of 1.064. Open Nottingham yeast, pour into carboy. Agitate carboy to mix in yeast. Pour bottle 7 of apple juice into carboy.

Part 2 (In about 14 days):
Check for target FG of 1.010 to 1.015

Rack cider into another carboy. This is optional, but it may help in clearing.

OPTION: If you want a still cider, add 5 crushed Campden tablets to the cider at this time. If you want a carbonated cider, do not add Campden tablets.

Make the Caramel Syrup and wait 24 hours before proceeding.

After 24 hours, siphon cider into your bottling bucket. Add the Caramel Syrup and the 3 cans of apple juice concentrate while siphoning to aid in mixing. Bottle the cider and enjoy.

If you are carbing in the bottle, be aware that this will carb up fast (4 - 5 days) due to all the sugar. When it is time to bottle the batch, I highly recommend that you fill and cap a plastic pop bottle (NOT a water bottle) first, and use that as a guide to tell you when it will be time to Stovetop Pasteurize the batch.

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider
People Like This 

Quick Reply