boiling out fusel alcohols from applejack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandow

Reaction score
So I'm pretty happy with the way my cider tastes and how the applejack I've made from it came out but I must confess a tendency toward a bit of a headache after a decent dose of either. Given the lower boiling point of methanol at least, is there any reason you can't just boil it off before kegging or Jacking? Has anyone here tried it and if you what was your peak temperature?

-Sandow

I think the best thing you can do is to try to eliminate the fusels in the fermenting process with a good yeast pitch and temperature control when you're making the cider.

Methanol is different than fusels. You could potentially boil off methanol with really accurate boil control, but fusels are longer chain alcohols so I am pretty sure the boiling point would be higher than the ethanol. I could be wrong, it happened once before :D

what makes you think that the fusels are the cause of your headaches? What makes you certain that there are significant amounts of "fusels" in your apple jack? Fermentation produces histamines and histamines cause headaches. Also drinking significant quantities of alcohol can result in headaches -fusel rich or poor beverages...

My concern was more methanol than the larger alcohols. I ended up mulling the applejack for 20 minutes at 150F and sweetening with a touch of maple syrup. Came out dangerously drinkable and strong enough that it stays liquid in the freezer. I got sloshed on it while tasting small batches and tweaking the sweetness and the headaches weren't an issue.

-Sandow

Back