Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Better than Apfelwein...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #161
RayInUT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon O View Post
I just keep a yeast cake going from one batch to the next of 3068.
If you wash the yeast, 3068 refrigerates very well and can be used for months. I just use a sanitized spoon and pull out a few spoonfuls from a mason jar to start each batch. I'm going to rig up an old sauerkraut jar today with an airlock on top and a blowoff tube going into the jar with purified water to catch the yeast from the blowoff and just use that from batch to batch. I've been making my cider lately buy using 3068, a half pound of dextrose, pectic enzyme, yeast energizer, yeast nutient, and leaving the fresh cider in the one gallon jug replacing the cap with a stopper. Just pour a little juice out, pour your dextrose in, shake it up, throw the stopper on top and put the blowoff tube in a mason jar of sanitizer. It works great and takes about 2 minutes to get going.

Last edited by RayInUT; 12-31-2008 at 07:22 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 07:26 AM   #162
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just started another two gallon batch. The farm I go to for cider sells fresh crushed, non-pasteurized cider for $4.99 a gallon and it usually has an OG of 1.065 before adding any dextrose. The weihenstephan yeast works great on it. I have five gallons that I made with Cotes de Blanc yeast three months ago that I think is not quite undrinkable but it is a struggle getting the first one down. I'm just going to let it age until it either dissolves the carboy or gets better.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #163
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, here's a rundown of the batches I've done with various yeast and sugar combos, from best-so-far to merely pretty danged good. The pound values below refer to dextrose.

BEST
Montrachet with 0# - apple comes through better. Table cider. Me likey. Wife likey.
3068 + 2#: fruitier, much less harsh than monty but does make krausen
Danstar Munich dry + 0# - Almost beery with but with a distracting woody/twiggy flavor.
Montrachet with 2# - like a very dry white. No one but me likes it, really.
ONLY PRETTY DANGED GOOD

Right now I've got a batch of 3068+0# that I will bottle in mid-Jan; I have high hopes for it.

The takeaway from this is if you haven't tried AW without sugar (or with less sugar) I'd encourage you to make a gallon test batch of it. I think it's more like ciders, less like wine, and generally more pleasant IMO. Your Mileage May Vary.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #164
nickmpower
Recipes 

DO the wheat beer yeasts require a lot more headspace or are the similar to the montrachet?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #165
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Monte requires near-zero headspace in my experience. Since I do AW in 5gal glass carboys I use a blowoff with the weizen yeasts.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #166
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Definately need some headspace or a blowoff tube for the 3068 (or a bucket of soapy water and a mop...it will be sticky Shiite that you will be cleaning up!).

Old 01-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #167
Bender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayInUT View Post
Definately need some headspace or a blowoff tube for the 3068 (or a bucket of soapy water and a mop...it will be sticky Shiite that you will be cleaning up!).
Yes, I am finding that out this week. Live and learn. Next time I'll use the 6.5 gal carboys.

Retired at the Jersey Shore.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 AM   #168
newbeerpig
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Same here, woke up this morning to a slight mess and had to rig up a blow-off tube, I just used one of the gallon jugs from my Apple Juice and Sar-San laced water and we are good to go. Head space is a must with the wheat yeasts, Makes for a cool project, I can't help but watch it since it is so active, the brew just keeps bubbling and working away.

Planning: Firestone DBA (2), Irish Red Ale
Favorites: Black Dog Blackberry Wheat Ale(3),Hush Puppy Cream Ale, Firestone DBA Clone, Coffee and Cream Stout

Old 01-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #169
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It is so much better with the 3068 yeast though. I have some that I did with champagne yeast in September that I decided to turn to vinegar. I can't even drink it after having the cider with Weihenstephan yeast. Mine took three weeks to ferment and clear. I'm drinking some right now uncarbonated and it is excellent. I think I'm going to buy a kegging sysstem tomorrow and I can't wait to get five gallons on tap! Much better than EdWort's Apfelwein in my opinion. That stuff tastes like cheap hootch. If that's how they like to drink it in Bavaria then more power to them.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #170
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anybody used the 3068 with something other than apple juice? I've made a few batches with Cotes de Blanc and a couple different ale yeasts. Cotes was too dry for my liking. Also, what kind of FG are you guys getting with the 3068? I may try to crash it around 1.006 unless it doesn't drop that far.

Quick Reply