Best way to stop fermentation prior to bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whino

Reaction score
I have 5 gal of cider from the farmer's market. I plan to dissolve 3 pounds of honey into it along with champagne yeast and let ferment to about 1.01. Then what? I have sorbistat k and camden tablets, but I think I saw here that may alter the taste. But if I add priming sugar and bottle I'm concerned about bombs. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Are you trying to create sparkling cider? If so, why would you want to stop fermentation? The continued fermentation provides the carbonation. The amount of priming sugar determines the volumes of CO2, assuming primary fermentation is complete. If you are unsure, raise the temps a few degrees, rouse the yeast and wait a few more weeks. It should complete. The other option is to taste the bottles after a few weeks. If they have reached your desired level of carbonation, chill them to inhibit further fermentation.

If by priming sugar, you mean back-sweetening, there's a variety of methods. A quick search turned up the following: http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-stop-fermentation.html

1: Some people are sensitive to stabilizers. Have you drank a storebought wine that made you sick or break out into cold sweats and hives? If not, you aren't sensitive to sulfites, don't worry about the off-flavors.

2: If you add those stabilizers to stop the fermentation at 1.01, then you won't be able to bottle carb because the yeast have been stabilized.

3: Stabilizers don't necessarily stop fermentation, but will prevent a restart of fermentation.

4: Cold Crashing stops fermentation. If you cold crash and add stabilizers, you can be 99.9% sure it won't restart.

5: Read the sticky on bottle pasteurization. I personally recommend doing it for twice as long as recommended in the sticky.

6: Honey and Cider is basically a Cyser. The ph will be very acidic for the yeast and you can expect some off flavors and aromas and at least 6 months of aging.

I was concerned that there would be too much pressure for the bottles. I have had wine corks pop out on me before, but it sounds like that isn't an issue here. I'm disappointed to hear it will take six months though, would sugar have been ready faster (i.e. should I go out and buy more cider for another batch?).

Latest posts

Back