Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > best way to back sweeten hard cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #11
baddagger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Marley View Post
CO2 is good. 8% helps (10% to 12% is better ... pretty uncommon with cider tho). Very good sanitation helps a lot too.

Potassium sorbate kills the yeast. If you use it, you would add it along with Potassium metabisulfite. Follow the directions for both and don't over-add.
ok so i need two things to kill off the yeast? what do they both do? and just wondering also i rember reading something that adds a bit of tartness to the cider what woudl that be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
DMartin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Mermaid, I bottle all my cider with about 1lb of lactose per 5 gal. It gives it just enough sweetness to overcome that clingy dry taste. Lactose also adds a thicker, creamy feel when you drink it so I would add a max of 4 to 4.5 oz per gal. or you'll overcome it.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

So what would happen if you were to naturally carbonate and keg a cider, then after it's got a good carbonation level to it, you release the pressure and pour in some apple juice concentrate that has been treated with sorbate then add gas to repressurize?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

you can age the keg over winter before you add the sweetener, then add the sweetener (more juice sugar w/e). i backsweetended my graff with apple juice. it was in the keg for close to a month with no additional fermentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #15
DMartin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If you're gonna keg, why not kill the yeast and force carb it? Then you can sweeten all you want.

Honestly, most of the people with back sweetening issues are those of us who haven't upgraded to kegs yet

Old 11-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Something else to consider about killing the yeast with sulfites is, some folks have allergies to them, so if you go that route and tap your keg for friends, etc. you might want to let folks know that the cider contains sulfites.

(most commercial wine these days use sulfites so it's not a big deal for most folks)

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Old 11-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Lactose is milk sugar and does work well. But some of your friends may have allergies to it.I have added a splash of Sprite or 7-up to sweeten and it gives a slight carbing to it when served; this works well as I can serve both sparking and dry from the same bottle. Cheers

Old 11-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBrob
Lactose is milk sugar and does work well.
Just one problem...

Lactose may be a sugar, but it's not very sweet at all. Brewers who know what they're doing use it more for body and mouthfeel rather than sweetness.

Yes, it's slightly sweet. But to achieve any significant amount of sweetness, you're going to end up with a pretty chewy cider, which just isn't right.

You can pasteurize. Or if you have a kegging system, stabilize or filter. I just prefer to use a sweetener (though I prefer my cinders dry, so I typically don't do anything). I use Splenda, but xylitol, Ace-K, and even aspartame are viable choices.

However, I'll be getting a keg system soon, and IMO, the best method with kegs is just to filter the yeast out, and use real sugar.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #19
KWKSLVR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As mentioned, Lactose isn't a really a sweetener. Also, a "dry" cider doesn't automatically mean "non-sweet" cider. All a dry cider is, is a cider that has had ALL of the natural sugar fermented out. Dry is in the finish, not the flavor profile. I've had many sweet ciders that have a dry finish.

Anyway, that said, I think it depends on how sweet you want it. If something is full of apple flavor, I personally don't think it needs THAT much sweet to it. I don't find Woodchuck to be all that sweet (or dry in the finish for that matter). I find something like this to be MUCH drier have a LOT more complex apple flavor and as sweet as Woodchuck. Woodchuck tastes like lightly carbonated apple flavored beer to me more than "hard cider". I really think that I could take Miller Light, let it go a little flat, add apple juice and get Woodchuck.

NOT that there's ANYTHING wrong with that, people should drink what they like, but my palliate finds Hard Cider and Woodchuck to be mutually exclusive.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #20
KWKSLVR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Double Post!

Last edited by KWKSLVR; 11-12-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Double Post

Quick Reply