Old 08-23-2012, 03:55 AM   #41
UpstateMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
Is KISS your second version of angry orchard ?
KISS v2.0 is, yes. Still working on it. Hold off on making KISS v1.0, it's ok, but there is a lot of room for improvement in that recipe.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #42
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike

KISS v2.0 is, yes. Still working on it. Hold off on making KISS v1.0, it's ok, but there is a lot of room for improvement in that recipe.
Aww ok. I guess I will make Graham's cider this weekend unless you think you'll have 2.0 ready soon

Old 09-07-2012, 02:39 AM   #43
06vmi06
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ahhhmplease share when you have tried it I can't find a decent clone Recepie

Old 09-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #44
Hernando
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 106

So I had their Crisp for the first time yesterday and loved it. This will be my first attempt at a cider and I did some poking around looking for specifics and found that they use a blend of sweet apples and bittersweet apples that provide a bit of bitterness and tannins. With no real access to bittersweet apples I am wondering if I could use crabapples instead. I don't have a fruit press but was wondering if I could use my juicer or blender? It was also stated they age on wood, any recommended wood types?

I would juice 3-4 lbs of crabapples remixing the juice and pulp. Add 1 c of Rasins mashed in blender, Add my pectic enzyme to the pulp and let sit for 24 hours.
After the 24 hours have elapsed add 1 lb of pilloncillo ( prefer this flavor over brown sugar) & 1 campden tablet and let sit for an additional 24 hours.

Add the pulp/juice from crabapples to fermenter.
Add 3-4 gallons Apple Juice
Pitch Nottingham or WLP039 (has anyone tried the WLP720 for a less dry cider and perhaps little to no backsweetening needed?)
Move to Secondary and add Wood Dowel or chips

After fermentation is complete add 1-2 cans of concentrate (to taste) Carb approx 24 hours (to taste) and then pasteurize. I understood I could pasteurize in the dishwasher running the rinse and heat dry cycle; is this the recommended and easiest way?

As I stated, this is my first attempt at cider and I really don't know but would like to get as close as possible to the Angry Orchard Crisp and I am speculating from what I've read ( http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/0...vid-sipes.html ). This is a shot in the dark for me. I appreciate any feedback on any of this.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #45
06vmi06
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Any update on version 2.0?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #46
bestes
Recipes 

I tried a clone of the AO Ginger, ended up with way too much ginger in it. I used 1 root, which equaled about 1 1/4 cups. Just chopped and boiled with my starter and 3 lbs of honey. I also used another 2 lbs dextrose. ABV was around 12%. I should have back sweetened and bottled / pasturizeed

Old 09-22-2012, 05:15 AM   #47
roymullins
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

can't have to much ginger- let it sit for 6-8 months and I bet it'll be smooth and fine...

Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #48
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ANyone ever get anywhere with this? My wife is pressing me for it.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #49
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppymonkey View Post
ANyone ever get anywhere with this? My wife is pressing me for it.
I tried upstatemike's KISS 1.0 recipe which was his first attempt at cloning Angry Orchard. Just bottled it a couple weeks ago. I don't care for the tart flavor the malic acid gives it like the sugar on sour patch kids. Hoping it will mellow out in the bottle. Upstatemike has KISS 2.0 bottled and will update the thread when he's tried it.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #50
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
I tried upstatemike's KISS 1.0 recipe which was his first attempt at cloning Angry Orchard. Just bottled it a couple weeks ago. I don't care for the tart flavor the malic acid gives it like the sugar on sour patch kids. Hoping it will mellow out in the bottle. Upstatemike has KISS 2.0 bottled and will update the thread when he's tried it.
I found that it took about 6 weeks - 2 months in the bottle for KISS v1.0 to be drinkable. At that point it was pretty good.

The recipe for KISS v2.0 will not be published. I feel that the changes I made to it from v1.0 were steps in the wrong direction. Drinkable, but not great.

Working on KISS v3.0 when I can.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Quick Reply