Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Aging Edwort's Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Aging Edwort's Apfelwein

My apfelwein has been in primary for 6 weeks. Should I leave it for a few more months or bottle it and let it age in the bottle. I wasn't planning on racking to a secondary but I can if I need to. What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
JustusLiebig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

You've met the 6 week minimum. If you're short on apfelwein rations I would suggest bottling it now. If you age it in the bottle, you can drink them whenever you'd like. If you're lazy, or short on empty bottles, then wait.
Aging in the carboy will give you a higher clarity in the apfelwein and some phenols will settle out. You may want to pitch some fresh yeast in your bottling bucket if you wait.
I wouldn't bother with the secondary.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Awesome thank you. I'd rather wait a few more months and then keg.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I don't know anything about a "six week minimum," I don't think about bottling mine for a minimum of 6 months. Then I don't touch those bottles for another 6 months minimum. I'm drinking some 2 year old that is amazing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I don't know anything about a "six week minimum," I don't think about bottling mine for a minimum of 6 months. Then I don't touch those bottles for another 6 months minimum. I'm drinking some 2 year old that is amazing.
Revvy - Is there enough yeast left in suspension after 6 months in primary to carbonate it, or do you not bother carbonating it?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsuds View Post
Revvy - Is there enough yeast left in suspension after 6 months in primary to carbonate it, or do you not bother carbonating it?
I carbonate mine, quite high actually, like a champagne. And yes, there has been enough both times I've done it. But it takes months to carb that way. You can add fresh yeast if you want. but you MUST make sure fermentation is complete (letting it sit for 6 months seems to do it,) or pasteurize it before bottling.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
JustusLiebig
Recipes 

Quote:
I agree that your apfelwein doesn't have a six week minimum, but I'm quite sure that is what Edworts outlines. As read in the recipe "Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): At least 6 weeks at 74 degrees".
Whether it is "at least 6 weeks" or "a minimum of 6 weeks", let's not split hairs.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustusLiebig View Post
I agree that your apfelwein doesn't have a six week minimum, but I'm quite sure that is what Edworts outlines. As read in the recipe "Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): At least 6 weeks at 74 degrees".
Whether it is "at least 6 weeks" or "a minimum of 6 weeks", let's not split hairs.
And if you've read tons of other discussions, even in his thread, you will see how many folks have come to realize that apfelwein seriously improves with age....

Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
JustusLiebig
Recipes 

Quote:
And if you've read tons of other discussions, even in his thread, you will see how many folks have come to realize that apfelwein seriously improves with age....
I have and I agree.

Quick Reply