Turbo versus 1118

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdunph

Reaction score
First mead batch. Heard about Turbo from a friend who suggested it, but all of the forums here talk about other strains (1118 seems to jump out most often).

Thank you in advance!

It really depends on what type of mead you are making and the type of final product you are looking for. Do you want to make a very dry beverage? then something like 1118 or what many prefer over that 1116 would would well. Do you prefer something semi sweet? Then maybe D47 would be better for you.

If you have a recipe idea already maybe post it here, and give us an idea of what you want then we can throw some ideas at you.

Thank you for the suggestions. My preference for mead is toward to semi-sweet with some spice. I'll post the recipe later tonight.

turbo yeast are generally for spirits where speed if preferred over flavor. as you won't be distilling and removing any and all flavor, you need to use a yeast that imparts a good flavor.
ec-1118 is an ok one to start with but there is better ones.

Similar to tweak'e comment, though I wouldn't suggest EC-1118 either. Yes it'll do the trick, but will blow the aromatics and some of the more subtle flavours straight out the airlock. Which is why I prefer K1V-1116 or D21 for traditionals......

D47 is also good but you have to control the ferment temp to below 70F - it produces fusels above that......

Back