Too early to tell??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keving91982

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to wine/mead making. I started my first mead back in January. It has cleared rather nicely. I noticed it had a decent amount of lees, so I decided to rack to a new carboy. When I pulled the airlock, I noticed it had a smell to it. I cant really explain the smell. I wouldn't say say like sulfer or medicine (as I have read) but just didn't smell all that great. I then took a taste, and it was border line horrible. Am I just being anxious, and should let it age for months? It looks amazing, beautiful color.

Am I just being anxious, and should let it age for months?

Probably.

Can you provide the details of the recipe (like honey type, yeast, gravity numbers, additives, fermentation temp, etc.)? That will give folks a bit more insight.

Medsen

It's just a real basic mead recipe:

15lbs wildflower honey
4gal water
2 tsp nutrient
1 tsp energizer
packet of Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast

After 3 weeks, I added some strawberries to the primary. Left them there for 3 weeks, then racked to clean carboy. It had been there ever since until today, after I racked it again. Like I said, I hope its just young. It's got an amazing gold/pink color.

Oh and I cannot find my gravity readings. I need to get better organized. I write stuff down on post-its and then cant find them.

It is probably just "young mead smell" especially if you fermented it at room temp. Another 6-9 months of aging will probably do wonders for it.

Back