Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Thoughts on first glass of mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
hoppymonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Thoughts on first glass of mead

First I'll go ahead and say that this was very first glass of any mead and it was a commercial version. (Redstone Black Raspberry Melomel) I actually have two seperate gallons of mead brewing in the closet now, but I jumped at the chance to try one when I saw the commerical version. It is dry and lightly carbonated. The honey flavor is definitely there on the back end. I can't stand any wine I have ever tried and even though this does have that smell I still appreciate the flavor. Is Redstone pretty typical? How does it compare to say a JOAM or other common varieties that everyone makes at home?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Personally I think redstone is crap. Your homebrew meads will be much better.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
TheBrewingMedic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Still sounds better than the Chaucers I had, it was rough, tasted like a traditional about a week into fermentation, slaps you with almost syrupy honey sweetness up front and finished less than spectacular, very green flavor.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
bodhi86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only commercial mead I ever had was called Dumsday ( with lil dots above the u) my mom got it in England in about 88 and it sat in my moms wine rack till the year I joined the army 09'. It was literally the most delicious thing I've ever drank, even my wife liked it, I don't know what style it was but honeyed cider was it taste and real light in color with no carbonation. I could only dream of recreating it's splendor

If you want to drink the best booze, your gonna have to make it yourself.
Punk Ass Mead, "Rebellious by Nature"

Old 03-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi86 View Post
The only commercial mead I ever had was called Dumsday ( with lil dots above the u) my mom got it in England in about 88 and it sat in my moms wine rack till the year I joined the army 09'. It was literally the most delicious thing I've ever drank, even my wife liked it, I don't know what style it was but honeyed cider was it taste and real light in color with no carbonation. I could only dream of recreating it's splendor
Well I can't state with any certainty, but all of the one's I found to try here, have been "dessert style" meads i.e. very sweet, almost syrupy. When tested, they had a gravity IRO 1.040 - to my taste that's too sweet. I like mine about 1.015 or thereabouts.

It probably tasted fine, because as you say, it had something like 10 years or so, ageing in the bottle........ (the 2 dot's above the "U" are just a marketing thing. It's a German thing and the accent of 2 dots above the U is known as an Umlaut - it means that the U is pronounced in a certain way - though whether it means that the Umlautted U is then pronounced OO or not, I don't know...... didn't pay attention in the German lessons at school - I'd have to ask one of my second cousins, they've both got German language degree's).

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 03-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
ExoticMeadMaker
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Well I can't state with any certainty, but all of the one's I found to try here, have been "dessert style" meads i.e. very sweet, almost syrupy. When tested, they had a gravity IRO 1.040 - to my taste that's too sweet. I like mine about 1.015 or thereabouts.
I agree, I have yet to find a commercial mead I like.

does anyone else find themselves sitting, starring at their mead in process?

Old 03-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Tyrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am especially not a fan of Redstone. I do find, interestingly enough, that now that I've tried what I would consider a good representative sampling of home created meads that they are far and away less sweet and tastier than Commercial meads (So far I have had Starrlight, Redstone --two varieties, Trybunalski--which was the best of a poor lot and B. Nektkar's Backwood's Cyser).

Is this because the public EXPECTS meads to be cloyingly/overly sweet and Meaderys are just producing to type? I can't imagine the vinters of a Meadery not knowing what "good" mead tastes like.

I would never buy another commercial mead if my life depended on it.

Reason: unfinished thought

Old 03-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Until last year I had never tried mead, last fall our brewing club was invited to hold our meeting at a new meadery here in Columbus. All I can say is wow! I don't drink much wine but I enjoyed it more than any wine I had ever had.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
I am especially not a fan of Redstone. I do find, interestingly enough, that now that I've tried what I would consider a good representative sampling of home created meads that they are far and away less sweet and tastier than Commercial meads (So far I have had Starrlight, Redstone --two varieties, Trybunalski--which was the best of a poor lot and B. Nektkar's Backwood's Cyser).
I tend to agree. The Redstone I got to try was almost bitter.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
bodhi86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It wasn't overly sweet at all, a pleasant sweetness to go with a crisp fresh apple taste, I dug the bottle out of my collection, quite a task as I'm a bottle collecting beer snob, just thought id share with you guys a mead that I found simple and amazing and give you a picture so you might be able to find one yourselves. Oh yeah only date on the bottle is 1986, so 20-23 years this puppy bottle aged

image-1420391240.jpg   image-918589066.jpg  

If you want to drink the best booze, your gonna have to make it yourself.
Punk Ass Mead, "Rebellious by Nature"

Quick Reply