Sherry experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
I currently have some Vierka Sherry yeast on the way and I want to see if anyone has any experience using sherry yeast in mead either primary or post primary. Only reason I ask is the literature via the interwebs is lean and unyielding. I have a 5-gallon batch of peach melomel that got the bung knocked off for 5-6 months and it tastes pleasantly oxidized but I just wanna roll wiht it and pitch sherry yeast to seal the deal. I sorbated the batch about 8 months ago to stabilize and forgot that I did, could I make a big healthy starter and get the batch going with that or am I screwed and should probably just use the yeast for another batch?

As I understand it, once something is sorbated, it's fermentation days are done.

Potassium sorbate just inhibits yeast growth, not necessarily fermentation, in theory it would work but I probably won't get a flor going. Tasted the batch again today and it's still slightly oxidized in a pleasant manner so I'm probably gonna allay fermentation with sulfite and bottle soon.

Got some 1.048 .Gallan and half. all grain bitters down to 1.010 and quite tasty no tricks , so it must ferment some Maltese. Don't know why or how

I also got 1 Gallon of 2nd sparge of 1.045 to 1.010. Forgot about for a long time ,months. Cold crashed, bottled carbed.Came out very nice.Almost English esters but different.Most assuredly fermented some Maltese.

Back