risk of oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solusveritas

Reaction score
I keep my mead downstairs on top of a shelf while it ferments and clears, but I bring it upstairs when I rack it. I try not to slosh it around too much but does moving it up and down the stairs pose a risk for oxidation?

I keep my mead downstairs on top of a shelf while it ferments and clears, but I bring it upstairs when I rack it. I try not to slosh it around too much but does moving it up and down the stairs pose a risk for oxidation?

As long as you're careful, you should be fine.

meads don't suffer oxidation in the same way that grape or other fruit wines do, but that's not to say that you're wrong to be cautious. That's good.

Racking/syphoning/bottling should all be carried out with the least amount of splashing possible - a good habit to be in.

So as per sfyeti's comment, you should be fine.

regards

fatbloke

Well, if you've had an airlock on it during secondary fermentation, I believe the liquid should only be in contact with CO2, and that should prevent any problems. I think it's only when you slosh it in regular air that can cause oxidation.

Latest posts

Back