HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Really Really Traditional Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #21
truckjohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I second the recommendation to go with a "Modern" mead before you jump head first into a traditional show mead....

1 key reason... Time...

It was nothing special for one of those ancient meads to take 10-20 years (Yes, years) to ferment out and age out to the point where it was good to drink....

Personally - I would also shy away from pouring a bunch of trash into a carbouy.... While wax doesn't dissolve much in water - some things will permeate back out of the wax in 14% alcohol.... Also - ground up hive - aka a gooey slush of Bee parts can't help the flavor much... Personally - I would be worried more about weird infections and TERRIBLE off flavors from all the protein, guts, and bee poo....

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #22
By-Tor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

[QUOTE=damdaman;4836671]Yes. And me and my girlfriend are drinking it waaaay too quickly, it's very tasty.[/QUOT

Has any of this cleared, or are you drinking it the ancient way?

If none are there to buy the yacht, none will be there to build it.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #23
damdaman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

[quote=By-Tor;5833149]

Quote:
Originally Posted by damdaman View Post
Yes. And me and my girlfriend are drinking it waaaay too quickly, it's very tasty.[/QUOT

Has any of this cleared, or are you drinking it the ancient way?
Yeah it clears in the bottle, you can drink it like homebrewed beer and leave the layer in the bottom of the bottle, or mix it in as you drink it by pouring haphazardly.

Lately I've come a little more back to liking it mostly clear, so my "whole hive" meads I let clear a little more before bottling. But I don't worry if a little gets in there.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #24
By-Tor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I bottle beer, I leave a 1/2' in the bottom, swish and drink the yeast from the bottom. That book has given me traditions that I will never let go.(I also flick a small amount of my first runnings to the north, so that the gods give my beer good flavor and fermentation)(I'm not a hippy)for my next mead I will be using propolis, royal jelly and some pollen.

If none are there to buy the yacht, none will be there to build it.

Quick Reply