HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Liquid Love buckwheat cyser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
fatbloke
Complete nugget!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeaud View Post
I mean yeah in general you don't heat mead but.... if it comes out good I'm not one to judge technique lol.
Equally, neither am I. Just that if you get some nice varietal honey and heat the hell out of it, you might as well just save the money and buy cheapo, store bought stuff, that's been processed to death, with just a bland honey flavour.

It's a bit like champagne yeasts. Yes, they have their place, if you're making a champagne like, light, dry, sparkling brew, but with honey/meads, more often than not, you'd not be wanting those sort of properties. Hence I keep a couple of packs of EC-1118 to hand for if I screw up and have problems, but for my traditionals, I routinely use D21 or K1V, 71B for fruit based recipes (except red fruit brews which get RC212).

I don't like D47 as you have to be too careful about fermenting on the cooler side i.e. below 70F, otherwise it can produce high levels of fusel - and I don't like the paint thinner taste.......

Hell, I don't even warm my honey to get it out the jar, I just cut/scoop it out, into a sanitised food processor or liquidiser, add some of the water that I'm gonna use and blitz the hell out of it. It incorporates the honey and aerates the must well - good for the yeast in the early stages.......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
bodhi86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i heated it because it was raw honey, i dont want any wild yeast beasties, i realize it my detract from the flavor a little,but i only brought it to 160 and only for 15 minutes, it still smelled plenty like buckwhea honey. as for the yast id love to know whereto find a mead yeast, the only one that even remotely worked where i got mine was 1118, and a dry mead is okay, but not what im looking for with my mead.

If you want to drink the best booze, your gonna have to make it yourself.
Punk Ass Mead, "Rebellious by Nature"

Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
lawpaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't feel the need to heat raw honey. I'm pretty sure we're all using raw honey. It's naturally anti-spoilage enough that you'll be fine mixing it cold if you inoculate it with good yeast within a couple days (do it right away though). Especially true if you SG is high.

I disagree about heating high quality honey makes it equivalent to cheap store bought honey. It does drive off some aroma and more subtle flavors, but whole lot more is wrong with most store honey than heat. Ultra filtering probably has a bigger impact.

Many great mead makers still heat their honey. I believe Medsen actually posted a small unscientific experiment he did with friends where they preferred the heated honey (although they also liked the raw aroma better).

So still get good honey, even if you heat it.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #14
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Don't feel the need to heat raw honey. I'm pretty sure we're all using raw honey. It's naturally anti-spoilage enough that you'll be fine mixing it cold if you inoculate it with good yeast within a couple days (do it right away though). Especially true if you SG is high.
True true, honey lasts almost forever (if not forever????) and yeah recently I read somewhere that a long time ago some honey was discovered in a 5000 year old egyptian tomb and the archeologists tried some and it was good except after they found out the honey was in an urn along with ashes....

Old 02-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
bodhi86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

10 days and counting, it was extremely active for the first 5 days or so, eating the cider and nutrient, we've gotten to the honey and my lil beasties cant chew through with quietthe same vigor, i cant add a picture yet, but im trying

Old 02-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
bodhi86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Aha! Here it is 10 days down, bout 150 to go, hope you like it

Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi86 View Post
10 days and counting, it was extremely active for the first 5 days or so, eating the cider and nutrient, we've gotten to the honey and my lil beasties cant chew through with quietthe same vigor,
It's all simple sugars. I don't think the yeast selectively eat the cider, and then the honey. I think it's more of an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #18
bodhi86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi86
10 days and counting, it was extremely active for the first 5 days or so, eating the cider and nutrient, we've gotten to the honey and my lil beasties cant chew through with quietthe same vigor, i cant add a picture yet, but im trying
Apperently I was... inaccurate, I just popped the top for the first time and took a gravity reading. After 11 days I'm at dryness, do I rack now or do I let it sit? This is the part I'm unclear on in the process, the proper racking time. What are the signs its ready to rack, what are estimated time intervels, if I'm satisfied with the flavor do I still add things to the 2 nd rack? Anything and everything you can give me on this subject would be much appreciated, I want to be good at this, and I know most of you have the experience I don't.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #19
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You rack now, and make sure not to suck up the lees/dead yeast/sediment or whatever you want to call it. Then, wait 'till it's cleared up considerably, rack again. Continue this process until you are at a satisfactory clearness level.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
bodhi86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just a 22 day update, gorgeous color clear as day, waiting for bubbles to subside before I super kleen and rack for age

Quick Reply